Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dirk, Jul 7, 2001.

1. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    Guys,
    I found a Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe Neck on Ebay for about 100 bucks. I have an Epiphone Accubass Jr, w/ a pretty crappy neck, and I was wondering if this would increase the sound/playability of this instrument. I'm having to use this bass right now b/c my Dean Edge Q4 is out of commission and I don't know how long I'll be using the Epiphone. Would it be worth it to get this neck, and maybe when finance allows invest in a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder and Badass or something. Also I should tell you that I'll be dipping into my "new rig fund" to purchase this. Just want some opinions.

Dirk

2. dirk

dirk

Apr 6, 2000
    Memphis, TN
    I really need some opinions on this, I don't want to waste my money. Does anyone have experience with changing necks? Is this a good price for the neck? Please help me. I'm afraid I'll make a bad decision and end up regreting buying this neck. It's definitely cheaper than a new neck from Warmoth, but is it a good deal?

Dirk

3. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Well Im no expert but just a few thoughts-

1) Id be cautious buying a neck unless I could see it to make sure its not beat up,broken truss rod,worn frets etc.....could be someone is selling a total piece of junk.

2) Will the Fender neck fit an Epiphone Bass?You need to know how wide your neck is (where it bolts to the body) and make sure the replacement neck is the same.

3)The overall length/number of frets should be the same on both necks or you may have intonation problems.

4) A new neck may help playability,but to improve sound youll probably have to replace the pickups.

My gut feel would be to pass on it,imo rather than replacing the neck,bridge,and pickups Id save my money and get the rig you really want,in the long run youll be money ahead.

Hope this helps,good luck Dirk.

4. I wouldn't buy a used Fender neck to bolt onto the Epi bass. It doesn't sound like a long term solution to me. I see Peavey Furys going on ebay for around $125. If you need a P bass on the cheap, that's the way to go. Forget about upgrading the Epi. Find something used, but ready to play.

5. berserk

berserk

Aug 24, 2000
    Parma, Ohio
    I have the epiphone and the fender you speak of. The neck wont fit. The fender neck is wider where it meets the body. Im having the same problem trying to find a new neck for my accu-bass too. :(