Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Jazz Deluxe tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pc, Mar 1, 2003.

1. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    I've been playing a EMG-DC40's + BQC brazilian/korean bass. I've been trying to get used to EMG's hi-fi tone, but definitely it's not my cup of tea...

I am searching for an "old skool" tone and this bass came around. It's a 2000 MIM J5 Deluxe. I've never played an active (factory) Fender before, so I'm a little bit condcerned about how it sounds. The sound clip @ fender site looks cool, but looks like it went through some effects. :rolleyes:

Does it sound like a jazz bass? :eek: :confused: :D

Are the pickups passive?? In case positive, is there a passive mode??

Is the preamp ok, or is it crap??

Share your experiences guys!

tks

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The pickups are passive, American made Jazz pups, one pole piece per string...I think humbucking, but I'm not sure.

As far as I can tell, it does sound like a Jazz. I have one of these basses and my friends commented on it's growly jazz tone.

No, it does not have a passive mode...hasn't been a problem for me.

The preamp is pretty good, the highs are a little harsh but if you go easy on the treble, it sounds pretty good.

I find that my favorite settings involve slight bass and mid boost, no much, just a tad then pickup blend setting of choice.

I love the Pau Ferro fingerboard and tortoise pickguard...my Candy Apple Red bass is pretty.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I have one of those and it's a decent bass. I did put a badass bridge on it and changed the pickguard but that's it. it is an active only bass and does have the MIA electronics but the electronics in the dlx MIA jazz are different. The pups do look the same though. I have a MIA dlx jazz and the electronics are MUCH cleaner and clearer, just my observation.

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I would also like to add that the electronics in my 98 MIA DLX where made by John Suhr, who did custom shop work for fender. He left the company that year, thus the change fender to the noiseless pups in 1999.

5. I had a 1998 MIA J-dlx with the single large pole pieces on the p'ups & the Suhr preamp. I agree that I remember the highs as being very harsh to my tastes, but I think that I have evolved since then. Great bass, played like a dream...but I got my 1st Warwick later that year...

6. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC

7. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    White with Pau Ferro and Tortoise....mmmmm pretty!!!!

8. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Do you know what is the string spacing @ bridge???

9. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'll have to measure when I get home...

10. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'm not sure whether you measure the bridge center to center or inside to inside...

Anyway, it's something like 11/16 in. center to center.