fender mim jazz fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, Jun 12, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have looked in the search. incase you say.

i have read good things in bad things. but all the bad things were the neck being to chunky or the pups buzzing. and the setup. and the growl.
    i have found onw at my local shop.
    sage green. beautiful!!!!!
    the neck is nice and fast. no noise from what i heard. the setup was nice. and growl? awsome!!!! everything i have been looking for in a bass.
    is this a defect? it is totaly differnt form what everyone else says!
    well what is your thoughts? thanks.
  2. most of the thing you hear about mim hapen now and then.some will have bad necks. some mim i have played are better souding and played better then some mia i have played.
  3. Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    I just picked up the same bass, fretted.
    Plays amazing, pickups are pretty quiet but I'm not used to them yet (they play pretty hot for passive, IMO), and the sage green is a cool color, very distinctive.
  4. LizzardTom

Mar 16, 2002
    Yes the MIM jazzes are hit and miss, but, if you find one that you like, then it's a winner. I bought one a couple of years ago and upgraded it. I love it, it's better than an MIA fretless IMHO.:cool:
  5. shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I have a pre-improvement MIM Jazz that I modified with Fender "Original '62" pickups, TI flatwound strings, black pickguard and jazz bass knobs.

The neck had some serious backbow, but a little trussrod tweaking, and the lower tension TI flats let it flatten right out.

This bass kicks some serious ass, and the tone is killer. The neck plays super fast, and there's a ton of growl.

The older MIM pickups weren't reverse wound so they wouldn't hum-cancel when they were both dimed. They also lacked a bit of high end to my ears. The tone, however, was certainly acceptable. The Original '62s have more clarity and sound glassier. I also like the midrange that come out of the Original '62s when the tone is rolled off. The standard pickups were a bit muddy when the tone was rolled off.

MIM Fenders are a fantastic bargain, and they're great basses at their price point. Lots of people love their MIA Jazz basses, but I find the MIA necks a bit chunkier than the MIM basses.

The major downside of the MIM basses is that the routing under the pickguard is giagantic, so you can't play one without the pickguard in place.

6. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    That is a great bass. I have a fretted (Peavey) but it hardly ever gets played now, cause the fretless is just so perfect, Im afraid to upgrade the it cause it might be a downgrade to my ears! I would definently go for it, I like mine so much I may buy another sometime, when I have money of course.
  7. I picked one up about 6 weeks ago - in sunburst!

Lovely bass for not a lot of a money, I figured I'd go that way, 'cos if I didn't play it a lot or didn't get on with it I wouldn't lose a whole lot of money!

Now I'm definitley keeping it - it may get a pup upgrade to something a bit meatier, but just now it's fine!

Now if only I could play fretless better........;)