Fender MIM Jazz or Ibanez BTB?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Penguin, Jul 6, 2002.

1. Hey Guys

Being on the look out for a new bass, i walked into my local music store and cut my selection down to 2 basses, the Ibanez BTB400QMTR and the MIM Fender Jazz.

I played both basses for about half an hour each, stumped on which one to get :confused:

I was just wondering what you guys think? I play most styles of music, so i want a pretty versitile bass.

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
  3. I think those are two extremely different options.. I would get the BTB all the way, but its a very easey to take decision for me..

It's hard to believe for me that you can't decide on one of them after having played them.. but well Trust your feelings and choose. I think the btb is much more versatile, but that's gotta be just me.
  4. -luisnovelo

The problem is that they have both grown on me, and i dont have the cash to buy both of them at the moment, just one.
  5. No_Fingures

Jun 17, 2002
    Boston Ma
    If ya wanna draw power from my unbacked up hatred for Ibanez go with fender. Or just go for the cheeper one save some DOE
  6. Which Jazz are you talking about ? The deluxe ? Then their versatility should be more or less the same but if you ar talking about a standard Jazz I (personally) woud go for the BTB

(Did you also try some Yamaha's? If not you should)
  7. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I don't know of any style that a Fender hasn't covered. How's that for "pretty versitile".
  8. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    only thing you can do in a case like this.... get them both!

9. Hi Penguin,

I was left with the same dilemma 2 weeks ago. In the end I picked the BTB. For its versatility, and its warmth. The preamp makes a huge difference. I wouldn't say that the BTB makes a perfect P-Bass impersonation but it's still way better than the J in this regards. Also I read somewhere that the BTB can't really growl ?!?! The guy that wrote that didn't know how to use an EQ because growl it can and a lot! Maybe the strings makes a huge difference there.

Strings also make a huge difference with the BTB. Had my BTB had DR Hi-beam when I tried it (just put those on mine) the choice would have been almost automatic for the BTB. I'm coming from guitar where strings DO change the tone but I would say its more subtile than on bass.

That said as soon as I can afford one though I'll get the MIM Jazz as well. :D

Can you give exemple of the sound extreme you are after versatility wise?

BTW I was strongly advise here to get a used G&L L-2000 for its outstanding versatility (alas these are a rarity in Canada) so you might want to try one.

Bottom line is I'm very happy I went with BTB.

Just a newbie .02 cents
  10. I would go for the Jazz, they are great for any style of music and are the standard for everything that comes after it. The Ibanez IMO sucks (my opinion may be a little biased though since i hate all their basses). When I played them they always sounded real hollow, and it was like whatever you played the bass sounded like you were trying to slap. But If you like them, what the hell, i just think that as far as versatility and lifespan go, you can't beat the jazz.
  11. Hey BrettAM,

just out of curiosity which other Ibanez did you tried? The SR sure sound hollow, the ergodyne too, but BTB hollow???? It has a modern sound for sure but hollow :eek: (might have been the string ?!)

I select mine rather than a Spector NS2000Q4 and MIM Jazz. It was easily the fattest and warmest of the 3... For mid however I felt the Spector ruled.
    The Jazz was more versatile than the Spector but less than the BTB.

I'm not saying the MIM Jazz is bad nor that BTB are the best bass out there. They are simply differents.

Try one it could change your opinion of Ibanez...

PS. After trying an SR400, SR480 and an EDC 700 I too thought bad things of Ibanez basses. But after reading good opinion on the BTB I gave it a try and it is quite different than the sterile SR/Ergodyne sound.

Just my 0.02 cents...
  12. Julien

Dec 29, 2001
    there is no way to hesitate.go for the jazz.you'ii get a bass with a Real personnality(i mean the sound)
  13. Gotta vote Jazz here....

Hard to go wrong with a classic!If you need a 5er they make the Jazz in a 5 string too.:)
  14. superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    people that love ibanez, have to have ibanez.
    people that love fender, have to have fender.
    if you can't choose between the two, then go fender.
  15. Hey!

Thanks all for your help, its much appreciated. It looks like i'll be buying the BTB over the Jazz.

Even tho i love the Jazz necks, after lots of thinking (and the fact that the BTB is cheaper) i made my decision. As soon as i have enough cash, ill buy the jazz.

Thanks all & Have A Good One. :D
  16. Were you talking of an MIM or an MIA J bass?No way the BTB is cheaper than an MIM J....or?:confused:
  17. Actually, here in Australia, The MIM Fenders are worth around A$1400 and the BTB 400QM is worth A$1200. In the US, are the MIM fenders cheaper than the BTB's?
  18. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    way cheaper my brother!
    MIM are $384
    and the BTB's are over $400
    i guess fender is just worth more over there!
    my MIA was $845
    how much are they over there?

19. In germany MIM Jazz are normally approx. $600 new!
  20. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    what is that in US money?