1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender MIM jazz preamp and pup change

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by \m/cliffB\m/, Apr 26, 2010.

1. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    so i have this fender herehttp://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-FSR-Standard-J-Bass-102571049-i1149721.gc

i got a badass II bridge put on it and set up by Dave SGD..yes the pick up maker...nice guy.anyway i want to get a better preamp and better pick ups done on it

so best over all PUP to give me the best tonal options. SGD's i herd are really good at over all sound. emgs sounds pritty cool too. dave lives right by me too :D:D:D so il probly end up getting his jazz pups for my fender( i also need him to do a fret dressing and a sheilding what you guys think i want feedback from his product here

and as a pre-amp i don't no much about them but i feel like i could do better and get the most out of my bass here i love this think really light very punchy from the start but i want it better idk where to start with pre-amps... give me some ideas where to start guys

2. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    bumb someone help?

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    You need to do some reading here and other places just to see what is out there. There are so many choices.

What is the bass currently lacking? Punch? Highs? Clarity? Volume? Grit? Decide what you want to add or subtract, and then do "pro and con", "this vs that" studies.

That bass (if purchased new, in stock condition) doesn't have a preamp, right? Do you want to add one for more tone control and versatility? If so, that's cool. There are lots to choose from at various price points.

But you don't need a preamp just to get a "good sound". You could also just install a series/parallel switch, or get humbuckers with single/dual coil switches.

Also, I believe the bass in that link is a fretless. Is yours? That will play a large part in picking suitable pickups and electronics.

Sorry, I don't know much about SGD pickups, except that he posts here regularly. I'm sure someone will step up with more info soon.

4. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    thanks man but im looking for alot of punch and brightness but i can keep my low end growl

the bass is a fretless

5. Wait, I thought you said you were getting a fret dressing...

I don't know about the SGD pups and I don't play fretless, but my Warmoth Jazz running Delano JMVC4 FE/M2 pups passive sounds HUGE. Tons of punch, warmth and growl....but it's a chambered korina body with bubinga neck so it's not really comparable to your Fender.

What are you looking to spend on pups and pre?

6. \m/cliffB\m/

\m/cliffB\m/

Jun 23, 2009
    dirty jearsy
    price wise idk but money isnt a factor rigth now...and im sorry the bass isnt a fretless i forgot to to put the isnt...i am getting a fret dressing soon along with new pups and preamp