Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Jazz Pricerange Alternatives

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a new 4 string bass next year, and I would like to spend under $1000 AUD on it. A MIM Jazz can be as low as $956.

So, I have tried one when I just started out on bass, but I need to try one again.

I will also try:
    • Ibanez SR500 ($864)
    • MM Sub 4 ($900 Store Damaged)
    • MIM Precision
    • Tobiases
    • Maybe a Rockbass
    • Spector Q4

Are Tobias basses around this price? I saw them in Brisbane and was surprised, but didn't check RRP.

Also don't say "Peavey Cirrus used" as the used market in Brisbane is very limited for basses, from what I can see.

If you could say what you think about the basses listed, that would be great. Even better if you suggest some more.

Obviously these basses don't fit all of these catagories, but if there is something with most of this:

24 Frets (not fussed really, but would be nice), Natural or dark natural with black pick/g (I'll take Black or whatever if needs be), active 3 band EQ, and isn't a custom, please tell me.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    All seem good to me.

Tobiases may or may not be in your price range. If you're talking the import line of "Toby" basses, they may be in your range. If you're talking the handbuilt American subsidary of Gibson, they're way out of your price range I'm sure.

You might also want to check out Fender Japan basses, from where in the world you are, I hear they're not much more money than the Mexican Standards. www.ishibashi-music.com

3. What's Toby?

Any other suggestions?

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do they sell Dean basses in AUS where you are? If so, they are something to consider if you are looking for something with more of a "modern" feel to it.

5. I've never seen one, but I was looking at a 12 string from the US.

I think I'd better get a 4 first though :p

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    The Yamaha BB404 ( I think that's the model). You can't miss it because it's orange. Great bass for the money.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MTD Kingston or Heir. Blows anything in that price range away.

8. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Have you considered "The Bass Company" they seem to get very good reviews around here, and they come in several pickup/string scale combinations. However, they would definately be a online purchase only.

9. You'd have more chance of stumbling across a treasure chest filled with gold doubloons in the street than finding an MTD or TBC bass here in Australia (at least in my experience).

Apart from the MIM Jazz, I'd also recommend the SR500, Yammy BB404 as well as the Cort GB99F and GB34 models.
    I'm thinking of buying something in a similar price range as well, and these seem to be the best basses around the same price range.
    The BB404 is alot of bass for the money since I've seen them below $700 and the GB74 sells for about $750-$800.

EDIT - Forgot about the Cort Artisan B4 which is similar to the SR500.

Check out this site

10. used Fender. not sure what a used Fender costs' there, but you should be able to find a decent used jazz in this range.
    take your time. try to buy close to home. shop locally before you consider mail order. other than a short warranty, new has no advantages over used. imo. :cool:

11. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I priced an MIJ from Ishibashi a while back and it totalled a fraction over $A1k with all duties/GST and shipping. They ship via EMS which is about 5 days and often slips through with no duties IME. Forget the exact model # but it was an ash body, maple neck Jazz.

12. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    Lakland DJ or JO

13. I think you guys must be reading this wrongly. The DJ is $2399 RRP and the JO is the same.

This is in AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS

ATM, on pure looks, I would have to choose a bass I like the look of as well the sound and feel. I don't like the yamaha look, but I'll check it out.

You guys are a big help here.

14. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I think the BB414 is the orange one.

I have a wine red BB404; it's quite nice also.