Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Jazz revelation.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Feb 14, 2005.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Short story, 4 string MIM Jazz. I've had this bass for about 7 years now! Never gigged it. Just kinda beat around the house with it. Kinda felt it was unplayable. Well last week, I just felt like pulling her out and practicing with her! Decided to give the ole' 'trussy' a couple of turns as the neck was slightly out of wack. Started playing her for at least an hour a day the last week or so and started to kinda dig the sound and feel. Had a gig last night and brought her and my Lakland 55-01 to the gig. Played the Lakland for the first half of the first set, switched to the Fender and 'damn'!!! Dang thing was playing like 'butta'!! Pretty much played it the rest of the night (2-1/2 more sets)! Now I know the MIM ain't no MIA or MIJ but I think I have a pretty decent bass. Anyone else here raving about their MIM's?

2. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use a 2001 MIM Jazz exclusively for live acoustic music. It's just me and an acousitc guitarist. I love the way the bass sounds next to the acoustic guitar. It gets pugged into a Rolls Red Square direct box and straight into the PA.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I used to have a '95 MIM Jazz that was really sweet. I should have never sold it. :)

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I think the non-US basses have a bad rep held over from decades past, when they were utter crap. But these days, things coming out of Mexico, Korea, and to a lesser extent Japan, are much higher quality instruments than their stigma gives them credit for, and in almost any (I would venture to leave out the "almost" but you never know) situation you might run into as a bassist, and perform admirably. Much like Peavey, who does put out a great product, but has that "But it's a Peavey" reputation, which, thankfully, is fading.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've got an MIM Precision and it beat out almost twenty MIA's (both P-Basses and Jazzes) I tried when I was searching for a new bass.

IMHO, MIM vs. MIA is just semantics. Actually the MIM's come closer to vintage Fender basses than the MIA counterparts.

I think too much is made of the origin of build. Who cares where a bass is made? It doesn't always mean one is better or worse.

There are great basses in the MIA and MIM line, just as much as there a real bad ones. They're still Fenders, and honestly, I think MIA's cost way too much for what you are getting.

I got a great bass. It played, felt and sounded better than every MIA I played...yet it only cost me $300 plus a new "vintage" '62 tort pickguard thrown in on the deal (which retails for $60 from Fender).

The old saying, "You get what you paid for" applies to some degree. In my case I got what I paid for and then some.

Anyone thinking their MIA is superior is just being snobbish for no valid reason.

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I bought a MIM fretless Jazz less than a year ago. It's not a MIA or MIJ but pretty damn good. For the money Fender MIM are great value !

7. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I love my MIM Precision. Awesome bass!

8. MODELL

MODELL

Aug 30, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA
    [ For the money Fender MIM are great value ![/QUOTE]

That's what I think. Dollar for dollar, I think MIM Fenders are a great buy. When I play mine live I don't think of it as made in Mexico, but just a a plain old Jazz Bass.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You know when I finally decided on the MIM P-Bass, though it was the best out of the lot of MIM's and MIA's available (three music stores that all carry Fender), at first I struggled with owning a bass that had the "stigma" of being Made in Mexico.

Until I realized I was just being stupid about it. :D

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Especially if you've checked out the new line of Gibson Tobias basses, or Gibson in general these days.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My only two Fenders have been MIM. I had a Y2K Precision which I very much regret selling, and lastly, I have a MIM Fretless Jazz Bass that plays like butter. Shame my ears are outta whack.

12. rayzak

rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Man, my first "good" bass was a MIM Jazz. I sold it about 2 years ago to a buddy for a ridiculous $150. Every time I go over there I pull it out and kick myself for selling it to him. It really was an awesome bass. At least when I go jam with him, I don't have to bring a bass with me (he's a gu**ar player) as I also sold him my Peavey Basic 112.

13. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I think they are great. I have "hot-rodded" 3 MIM "J" basses and 1 "P" bass. Thye are great. I kinda wish I had one of each around again. I sold them because I make a lot of use of the low B in church so I stuck with my 5 and 6 string.

Still, if I got another bass, it would probably be a MIM jazz to "hotrod" a bit.

14. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    my mim p-bass is ****ing sweet. the reason i bought a mia p in the first place was because of it.

is it as good? i dont think so. the body contours on the mim can get uncomfortable after awhile where as the mia is amazing for house.

15. i have a mim fender jazz bass.i paid 200 pluse tax, its candy apple red. ive replaced the bridge pickups with a 1/4 pounder. and add a p in the middle of the two j's. the p is another 1/4 pounder. the neck jazz is stock. i have it wired v/v/then stacked v/t,
    i got a kahler bass trem from a tb member.

i ve put more money in this bass then wat i paid for it. i have a warwcik corvet stnd and i play them 50% of the time. its not where some thing is made how how much it cost its how it feels. i wouldnt trade this bass. (well maybe for a 62 fender jazz.

16. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    would you rather spend 400 on a fender made in mexico bay mexicans, or 1000 on a fender made in california by mexicans

17. My old MIM Fretless jazz owned, just the body was too big.

18. i have a mim fender jazz bass.i paid 200 pluse tax, its candy apple red. ive replaced the bridge pickups with a 1/4 pounder. and add a p in the middle of the two j's. the p is another 1/4 pounder. the neck jazz is stock. i have it wired v/v/then stacked v/t,
    i got a kahler bass trem from a tb member.

i ve put more money in this bass then wat i paid for it. i have a warwcik corvet stnd and i play them 50% of the time. its not where some thing is made how how much it cost its how it feels. i wouldnt trade this bass. (well maybe for a 62 fender jazz.

19. JazzerHF

JazzerHF

Dec 14, 2004
    MIM jazzes are amazing deals if you find the right one. my MIM has beaten every MIA jazz i've played in both sound and feel (not the looks department though, maple neck on black guard on black body *drool*) GO MEXICO GO!!!

20. Peak0db

Peak0db

Jan 22, 2004
    Brockton, MA
    I've had 3 MIM Jazz basses now I really regret selling my first :bawl: but life goes on 1st was a black 1999 I put a BadassII on then Barts with and active pre 2nd is a 2000 white one that also has a Badass II and Barts but they are passive and I swapped the tuners when I lent this to my son for 6 months he destroyed them somehow 3rd is a 2004 blue fretless thats all stock because all the parts are going into a 5 string that I'm in the process of building. but I may get around to changing that too for the money I htink they are great oh yeah the white one somehow sneaked out of the factory with a flame neck. I bought the 1st just because I wanted to have a bass that I could experiment with and it was soo cheap I paid anout 150 for it