Fender MIM Jazz vs MusicMan SUB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jun 23, 2004.

Which bass

Poll closed Jun 30, 2004.
  1. Natural Fender Standard Jazz

61 vote(s)
  2. Teal/Active MusicMan SUB

37 vote(s)
  1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm looking to shell out about another $500 for a bass, and I'm considering these two basses. There is a teal/active MM SUB for $499 at a local store, and at the same store, there is also this Natural finished Fender MIM Jazz I've had my eye on for a month or so. Its $489, but I could probably get it lowered. I play with a pick, which is why I love the sound of the SUB and the looks are pretty nice, except for the pickguard. If I were to get the Jazz, I would no doubt change the pickups and add either a J-retro or Raven Labs JBR-1, which wouldnt happen for a while down the road.

2. Get the SUB, man... I hear great things about them, plus is an active bass and QC at EB is much more consistant than at Fender... and if the pickguard doesn´t grow on you, you can always change it later.... :bassist:
  3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    if its the sub at martin music get it. it plays very good.
  4. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Heh. No its at Guitar Center sad to say, but I just bought my Lakland from them two weeks ago. Martin are A+ guys though.
  5. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i forgot youhad the 55-01

get the sub, it will compliment the tone of the 55-01 that is slightly more "j bass"
  6. If you have budget constraints, get the standard jazz bass. It's got great value for money. If money is no object, I'd still go for the standard jazz bass, but the Music Mnn SUB is great, I've played it, although I'm still a Fender Jazz guy.
  7. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!

I'd probably go w/ the J-bass, only because its SOOO much more customizable... You can make it anything you want...
    But, right outta the box, the SUB is probably alot better.
  8. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    Depends on the tone you want. If you're after a strong, cutting fingerstyle tone out of the box, go for the Jazz. If you want a serious slap or pick tone, go for the MM. Since the SUB only has the 2-band circuit, it's rather shy in the mids and doesn't cut very well for fingerstyle (YMMV, of course). But it's a serious slap or picking machine.

Russ :bassist:
  9. rogerbmiller

rogerbmiller Gold Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2003
    In terms of a better bass, absolutely get the sub. It's a much better value than the MIM, relative to its higher-end counterpart and in general.

However, you should also consider your needs. J's have vibe, hence people pay the price even though they give you very little value (MIM and MIA). It's a better bass for a straigh RnR gig than the aggressive looking and active sounding SUB, which is a tremendous value but is directly comparable to the EBMM Stingray.
  10. birdsg

Dec 18, 2003
    Birmingham England
    Agree 100%

11. I don't agree with this, I own a 2 band EQ Stingray, play strictly fingerstyle, and manage to get a great tone out of the bass.
  12. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    I had a 2EQ Stingray a few years back, it was a great bass (I was having a pickstyle period about that time), but, for fingerstyle playing, I could only get any midrange presence out of it whatsoever if I dialled out almost all of the active EQ, and the tone became somewhat lifeless. I was playing in a band with a guitarist with a Marshall and a Les Paul, and just couldn't make any impact through his guitar tone. The 3EQ Stingray is a lot better in this respect, but generally I've always found modern Stingrays (ie, Ernie Ball models) to be somewhat mid-shy. The older ones never seemed to have that problem, though... :bawl:

Just my 2p's worth though... maybe it'll work for others.

13. That price is quite high for that MIM J-bass. Those usually run about $420, don't they?
  14. Same here. I had a SUB for about two weeks, but couldn't get any mids in a non-artificial way. The bass does sound really round and impressive when you boost the bands on the preamp, but in a mix, playing fingerstyle, forget it. By contrast, the Jazz doesn't sound like anything special soloed, but it rips when you're playing with a band.
  15. AJ Love

AJ Love

Oct 8, 2002
    Madison WI USA
    I've seen MIM basses for as low as $379 brand new. play one before you buy though
  16. I must say I boost my mids on my amp, which compensates the missing of mids on the bass pre amp. Anyway, I'm trying to sell my corvette and getting a second hand 3EQ Stingray, so if I'm able to sell the warwick and buy the SR, I'll make a study, just based on this 'problem' :)
  17. I just played the Music Man in the Guitar Center today. It wasn't too comfortable, and for the most part it didn't sound as well as I thought it would. I guess that's because I really am a Fender J bass guy and I am so used to playing with one. That's my humble opinion. :bassist:
  18. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
  19. Rusty Chainsaw

Rusty Chainsaw

Oct 15, 2002
    The Cronx
    +1. Best of both worlds... :D