Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender MiM jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by panazza, Dec 19, 2003.

1. panazza

panazza

Nov 23, 2003
    italy
    Hi
    I just bought a nice black fender MiM jazz... I think this is a very good bass... or at least mine is good... you know fender basses may vary...

what do you think of this bass?
    did you encounter some problems?
    please tell me I would like to know about my bass

thanx mates

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Do a search. One of the most talked about basses.

3. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I got one, great bass for the money :bassist:

4. fenbull

fenbull

Oct 31, 2003
    Akron ohio
    I tried (had) 3 well the first somehow i walked out of the store with it had no saddle spring or screw and the saddle feel out the next day?:meh: 2nd was a frettless and i loved it but felt it was too big of a challenge for me to find the proper tones on the neck. I will try frettless again later.The 3rd was cool but i had noisy pup...this is a real problem with the MIM jazzs from everyone i talk to. You might want to replace them. I am a fender man by heart but i will honestly say the MIM line was a big disapointment to me as were all of their MIM line on down.Anything above was out of my budget so they might be the way to go.I finally got a BTB ibz and have been in love since.:bassist:

5. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    I have a MIM Jazz too, love it, but it's not the perfect bass. Did you know you can get a G&L L2000 Tribute for the same money?
    If I had known that before I bought the MIM (back in '99), I would have gone for the tribute...

Man man man, I probably get one this year.
    It has G&L active/passive electronics, GREAT bridge and it is versatile, oh man, is it versatile!!!
    They run about 700 euro in Belgium. MIM's run about 600, I think (mine was cheaper :D )

6. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    When I was shopping for my second bass, I searched around and found a nice black jazz bass. I was ready to shell out 900 for it and when I found that it was a Mexican, I coudn't believe it. I was literally speachless to find that this basss was only 400. I put new pickups in it and a Badass II bridge and have kept it since. I think this is a one in a million bass :p :D

7. Pöl

Pöl

May 31, 2003
    Belgium
    Jep, those badasses rock ...
    Too bad I can't get any here in Belgium.
    How much do they run for in the states?
    Here they are around 200 euro

8. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    around $60 new. I'm not too sure how much they go used though.

9. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I was going to get a MIM jazz. I ended up getting a MIM Fender Zone. I still think the MIM jazz had a better pure Fjazz tone but the zone is just too flexible and too easy to play. A killer.

10. I use my MIM jazz as a back-up. I really like the bass, and it looks nice too. I bought mine for 550 euro's, and i thinks it's a good bass for the money. I might change the original pick-ups to barts or EMG's, but not right now

11. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I can't make myself spend more money until I find a better bass than my MIM Jazz. Plays and sounds to me like the best Fenders hanging on the wall the day I bought it. I am sure it isn't perfect but what the heck I ain't eihter.

tk

12. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I bought mine in late 2000 and like it. I did have to do some work, though: the frets were not leveled well when I picked it up. A quick fret-leveling and that was fixed. The action is nice and medium-low.

In addition, the bass now sports a pair of DiMarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and a badass II bridge.

I'm actually planning on selling it, but only because it doesn't see any action. I'm mainly playing a 6 string now.

13. I've had a couple,a black 96 standard like yours and a red MIM 2000 deluxe,plus an American Deluxe Jazz bass.The one I miss the most is the Standard I bought in 96.It felt right and sounded right when I picked it up the first time.I added EMG JV pickups,a EMG BTS active tone circuit and a Shaller roller bridge.To me it sounded good with the stock pickups and bridge but a couple of the clubs we played had terrible noise problems and the EMGs were a good fix because they are so quiet.The MIMs quality varies some but there are some gems out there.

14. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    What is this badass bridge about? what does it exacltly do? any pictures?

:confused:

15. yeah, everyone raves about badass II bridges...why??~??

- w00t

16. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    To me, the more mass is a bonus in the sound. Add to that the fact that it's designed to be a drop-in replacement, as opposed to having to drill more holes into your bass.

Leo Quan is the manufacturer of Badass Bridges. Here's a picture of the Badass II from the Leo Quan website...

[​IMG]

17. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As soon as I can find a maple P-neck I'll buy a MIM Jazz bass. I just can't deal with the narrow necks! But I'm dying to have one!

18. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain

Do they work with body-through string setup?

19. Samie, they were not designed with through-body in mind.

Check out his other bridges though.......

http://www.leoquan.com/html/products.html

;) Treena