Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM or MIA Pickups vs SX Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Minger, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I know this is kinda covered in the shootout...but since there may be an opportunity to get some stock Fender pickups for cheap, I was wondering how they were. I was planning to install them on my SX.

Anybody do this before or Should I just spend more and get better pickups? I mean the shootout says the MIA ones are ok, and pretty much that...

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    The MIA pickups are well worth it. It really depend on what you want for a sound.
    If you want a standard jazz bass sound then I say go for it. If you want something else, do some research and see whats best for you.

3. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Well I'm willing to give them a shot if I can get them for like 15 if I'm lucky.

I take it MIA and MIM pickups are different? I wanna try these and see what swapping around pickups is all about :D

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Anyone? Auctions end soon and I'm pretty sure there will be more bids on the MIA ones...so yeah.

5. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Do you like the sound that you get from your SX? It may not be worthwhile if you do. I have the stock pups from a 97 American Standard. The neck pickup is strong and beefy, the bridge is much weaker and more high end. Some people may like that tone, I don't. My SX bridge pickup seems much more fuller than the MIA. The good thing is, if you are a decent solderer, changing the pickups is relativly easy and if the MIA's don't have the sound you want, you should be able to turn them around for what you paid for them.

6. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    O well. I didn't go for them because I kinda liked the sound, but was wondering if there was more out there, ya know?

That and they went for 13 shipped for the MIAs on ebay.

Ouch...shoulda tried for em, but whatever.