Fender MIM Replacement Neck Peg head Bushings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Frovan, May 9, 2017.

1. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    First TB post! So I just put a 2016 MIM replacement neck on my Jazz and was told by Fender to get the Standard MIM bushings. They were a tad too small. The peg holes are .734" (I'm thinking this is false), the MIM Bushing is .825". I now have ordered the American Vintage Bushings from Fender and they are .875". Anyone else have one of these 2016 Replacement necks and have run into this problem?

UPDATE: The "American Vintage Bushings" that are an .875" diameter were a perfect fit! I'm guessing Fender measured the peg holes incorrectly.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Welcome to TalkBass.
    Bushings are press fits, so they need to be a tad larger than the holes. Get two blocks of wood and a clamp. Block of wood, headstock, bushing, block of wood and set the bushing using the clamp.

3. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    Thanks! I know how to put them in, I just want to know if anyone else that bought this neck from Fender had this problem and what they did. Thanks for the instructions tho!

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Sounds like the neck you have is from a model that runs the big old kluson type reverse winders. One of the "classic" models. Bigger holes than a contemporary MIM tuner.

5. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    That's what's weird about it, it's not off of another model. It's the $200 replacement neck Fender sells that is supposed to be the same specs as a MIM neck.

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Fender Mexico makes more than one model neck. It's possible what you were sent (maybe by mistake?) isn't a standard MIM but another model such as a classic 50s which is smaller radius, and .10" wider nut and takes the large reverse winders.

Frovan likes this.
  7. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    That's what i'm thinking as well. I put the "Pure Vintage 70's Tuners" on it, so as long as these .875" bushings work I won't have to get different tuners.

8. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I put on a MIM Jazz neck on a old pbass. I believe it was a 2014 neck. You can tell year and type because Fender uses special serial numbers for parts necks. I ended up using hipshot tuners for MIM as the dimensions were not exact to MIA versions.

You should be able to push the bushings in, not pound them in. Pounding the wrong size will likely end up cracking the headstock. Either as you pound it in, or down the road.

9. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    When all else fails measure the holes and bushings for yourself with some digital calipers.

That said if the MIM bushings aren't quite as snug as you like, wrap them with a layer of aluminum or copper foil tape and they should fit nicely. Trying to press fit an oversize bushing is the second fastest way to break the headstock...the first is using a mallet/hammer instead of a press.

Frovan likes this.
  10. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    This is a MIM 2016 replacement neck. A couple people told me they put the new bushings I ordered on a stock MIM neck and they had to lightly sand the holes a little bigger, so since mine is a tad bigger then a stock MIM i'm figuring these will be a drop in part hopefully.

11. 74hc

74hc

Nov 19, 2015
    Sunny California
    I'd be hesitant to sand to enlarge as I would be worried about exposing the wood to mosture. It's sealed to help keep it stable.

Frovan likes this.
  12. Frovan

Frovan

May 9, 2017
    I agree. Hopefully that won't come up. I'm just getting frustrated because this is the last thing on this bass to finish all the upgrading and I've called around and posted on all the bass forums I'm on and no one seems to know anything about these replacement necks.