Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Replacement Tuners?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by superfly, Aug 13, 2005.

1. superfly

superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    While the subject is in the air, does any company make direct replacement tuners for a Fender MIM P-bass?

Tuners that would be "better" than the stock ones?
    And have direct replacement screw holes for mounting?

Has anyone here replaced thier MIM stock tuners with better tuners that needed new mounting holes?

2. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    I've done the tuners on two of my MIM basses.

I used Schaller BML tuners. They were $46.00 from Warmoth. I was able to leave the stock bushings in-didn't feel the need to change the current ones, and besides, they look pretty close to the vintage style.

I did have to make some new holes, but it's not hard to do. Just be patient, and take your time.

I know of no replacement that doesn't require some new holes.

I've thought about changing the ones on my '99 MIM, but I'm still kinda on the fence. They're not the best, but they do work, and the bass does stay on tune. I may do it somewhere down the road. Time will tell.

On my other two MIM's, the tuners were pretty sloppy, so I just swapped them.

Hope that helps! :hyper:

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've gone with the BML's as well, but in retrospect, the BMFL's probably would be slightly smarter as there would be less of a chance of screwhole overlap.

4. patonbass

patonbass

Jul 24, 2005
    minnesota!
    sorry to take this thread, but i have a '92 mim p bass that has taken a darker tint to the neck over the years, with those years, the "licensed by schaller" tuners have gotten a bit sloppy and are due for replacement. when you take of the tuner there is a really pale spot where the wood and finish have been covered by the tuner's plate, it may sound picky but i really dont want that spot to show, what tuner would be a good replacement that would not give up that pale spot? i am also planning on adding a hipshot extender key so it would be great if they matched also... thanks!

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I was just comparing the Schaller BMLs to the stock MIM Fenders and the screw hole are really going to be close to each other. Maybe too close.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That's why I'm using BMFL's next time :)

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Check with Hambone, but you may have to file part of the G string tuner, so it doesn't show past the headstock. He told me that he's done this to a couple of his MIJ Fenders, so it's not a problem.

Funny though, Hipshot says it's HB2's won't fit a MIM headstock (these are similar to BMFL's) I didn't know Fender changed their headstock sizes. But you're right-the BMFL will definitely cover the old MIM tuner holes :hyper:

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Strange, my CIJ '57 Reissue neck accepted HB-2's perfectly, even WITH the BT-2 also.

And Hipshot swears the HB-2's won't fit? Wierd. Are the pegholes closer together or something?

9. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

When I emailed Hipshot about which classic tuners to use, the reply was that the HB2's were too big for the headstock-use HB1's.

I guess they feel the headstocks on the MIM's are too small for HB2's/BMFL's. I find that strange too. I have BML's on two of my MIM's, and it looks like there is still plenty of room for the BMFL's to fit.