1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender MIM standard p bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gibsonbassist45, Sep 9, 2008.

1. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    hey everyone.fender MIM p basses seem real resonable with pricing. i know it might not have as good of quality or sound as say a MIJ,MIA, or highway one p bass. but do they have good quality and sound to them? just wondering cause i was looking at one. and one more thing, would you think i would be down grading from going to a bass with two different tones to only one? cause my two other basses are an epiphone thunderbird and a yamaha RBX 170 which have 2-3 tones and the p bass only has one. so would that be like downgrading compared to the other basses i have?

2. DW1969

DW1969

Feb 24, 2008
    They are good and even better with some upgrades. Don't underestamate the tone of a P, it does more than one thing. Roll the tone up or down to change tone or grab a pick and add some attack.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    IMHO, you will never regret owning a P. Actually, it's more like you will always delight in owning (and playing) a P. And +1 to what DW1969 said about the tone.

4. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    i could always tell just by looking at it that i would love a p bass. idk why it just looked so cool and i thought it would be a delight owning one. and im just figuring if i buy one im going to wind up loving it to death. and plus the tone it would bring as well

5. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    every one should own a pbass. They are great basses and are the perfect shell for hotrodding

6. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    MIM P basses are good basses , you will probably want to swap the pickups on the MIM as this is its weak link , however this is not all that expensive to do (especially as its just the one pickup)

7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    +1

8. cfcsfc

cfcsfc

Aug 19, 2008
    I have a MIM Fender Precision. I love it, but the bridge was terrible. Repalced it with a Badass II and it's great.
    I've gotten a decent range of tone out of it. Not as versitile as my Yamaha, but it does the jobe well.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I am a MIM nut own two and several thru the years. Stock or modded a good MIM is as good or nearly as good as any MIA IMO. MIMs are diffrent so look em over and play a few. Some sound good some great some not so good.

I found a fairly used MIM P at GC in the older aguave blue. I got it for 175.00 used. The pups were good but i dropped a set of 62 reissues in her added an Fender american bridge and Fender pearl pickguard and she is one of the nicest P basses i have ever played. Get a good MIM P and you will see. It might be fine stock if not for less than 100.00 it will be hot.