Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIM Std J w/FMT vs Warwick Rockbass CorvetteSE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plankspanker13, Aug 25, 2002.

1. Fender MIM standard-J w/ FMT

9 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Warwick Rockbass Corvette SE

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Neither--use a keyboard if you're desperate

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. Having been one to criticize poll designs on the past, I felt it was time to stick my neck out. Using the K.I.S.S. principle, I'd like to get the TB community opinion on an interesting choice for my backup fretted instrument. Both axes have a J-J pickup layout.
    The MIM J-bass with FMT sure surprised me by showing up in the latest MF catalog. At $500 with hardcase, that's a good deal. Throw in another $100 for a BadassII and Dunlop straplocks and one has a very nice axe. Of course, I'd probably also add another $120 for Basslines stck pickups to remove single coil noise.
    The MIC Rockbass Corvette SE also has a nice FMT and already has an active circuit with buffer preamp to eliminate hum, still needs straplocks and only comes with a gig bag for $700.
    There is an interesting dilemma here, isn't there?
    OK TB, sound off!

2. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    what is the K.I.S.S. principle?

i would go with the Fender. But I am a fender man and the FMT sounds really nice with all the upgrades you say you're going to add.

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Kiss principle: keep it simple stupid!

5. The MF catalog just arrived this week--the Special Guitar Edition (what-EVER) and it definitely states that a hardshell case is included for $499 + s&h. I dunno about the FMT. I have read another thread stating in essence that MIA FMT's are less than perfect like other makers. I shudder to think of what the MIM FMT may or may not be. This is not a dis on the MIM, as my fretless is such an instrument and I don't find anything wrong with it (well, 'cept for the stock pickups and the single coil noise, but hey, J-bassers the world over have learned to deal with that).