SOLD Fender (MiM) Urge Stu Hamm Signature Bass. ExcCond/rare.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Europe & International' started by eubassix, Nov 2, 2017.

1. eubassix

eubassix

Jan 17, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    Price:
    Currency (EU and Intl):
    EUR
    Strings:
    My Location:
    United Kingdom
    Ships to::
    • Worldwide
    • United States
    A Mexican made Fender Urge Bass in very good condition. Very nice metallic blue (“Ocean Turquoise*) paintwork which is virtually unmarked. Medium 32 inch scale with a nice dark slab rosewood board. 2 x Jazz pickups, active electronics with dual concentric controls for volume, treble, bass and blend. designed and endorsed by bassist Stu Hamm:-
    Background: The original Fender Urge Bass was designed in conjunction with John Page and was the first Artist Signature bass offered by Fender, and featured a sleekly downsized alder body; two Custom Noiseless Jazz Bass pickups; a Custom Precision Bass pickup; dual-band EQ; 18v power supply (only on Urge II) and a Lace Sensor on first Urge; a panning Jazz pickup selector control; asymmetrical oval neck profile and a neck with a sculpted heel; string-through gold-plated bridge; two stacked black control knobs; black Gotoh tuners, and a medium-scale, 32" graphite-reinforced maple neck featuring a 2-octave rosewood fingerboard with 24 medium-jumbo frets. This bass also had a rotary switch offering four modes: standby (off), active mid-boost, active no-boost, and passive (urge). The pearloid pickguard was of a unique shape with a smaller footprint than many other Fender basses. Colours offered were Lake Placid Blue, Montego Black, Sherwood Green Metallic, and Burgundy Mist. The original Urge was first introduced in 1993 and was discontinued in 1999.
    There was also a short-lived Urge Standard which was made in Mexico between 1993 and 1999, featuring a medium-scale 32" neck, two standard Jazz Bass pickups, a poplar body, and active circuitry with dual concentric volume and tone for each pickup. As of 2008, the Urge II came with a Hipshot Drop D-tuner and three new finishes including Ocean Turquoise*
    Incl. MVC-071S (2).JPG small(er)/fitted gig-bag

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. That's a beautiful bass! Any idea of the weight?

3. eubassix

eubassix

Jan 17, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    Thanks. Super-light @ 7.2lbs !

4. Wow! Then I'm definitely interested. Does it have any neck dive due to the light weight? And is the tone similar to a standard jazz? I have a 2012 jazz that I love, but is a bit heavy for me due to back problems. I'm looking for something similar.

5. eubassix

eubassix

Jan 17, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    OK: no neck dive. Very much a Jazz bass (tone/feel etc.) - similar set up to the stacked-knob version, except with Vol/Pan + B/T. Noticed your location - are you anywhere nr. Chris Larkin's place (Castlegregory)

6. I'm just over 2 hours from Chris's place. He made me a beautiful lightweight bass, but I'd like a light jazz/p as well. Do you know him? I can pm you tomorrow if that's ok? Just heading out to a gig now.

7. eubassix

eubassix

Jan 17, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    OK/thanks - look forward to PM. Will reply re. Chris L etc.

8. PM sent

9. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    These are awesome basses, I have a black one. I didn't like the preamp though - seemed a bit noisy. Playability and feel were so amazing that I had no qualms about taking the electronics out and swapping in a EMG MM jazz set instead. It's a KEEPER!! :D

For reasons unclear to me, I got a very substantial return on the original preamp and pups when I flogged them on eBay

10. eubassix

eubassix

Jan 17, 2004
    Teesside, UK
    thanks... looks like this bass is sold (pending)

11. If it hasn't sold, let me know and I'll pm you.

12. turbo2256b

turbo2256b

Jan 4, 2011
    Have one purchased new right from the factory one of the last made maybe 1 hour playing time. Tried to have them make me a fretless version they wouldnt do it. Have had thoughts of defreting it and some changes to the electronics.
    Only change was going with gold pyramid flats right after purchase

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021