1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MIM vs Sandberg Electra

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by recode, Dec 12, 2015.

1. MIM P-Bass

6 vote(s)
    27.3%
  2. VS4

12 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. M4

4 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Hello everyone! I already saw some topics with similar questions. But my question is which one should i pick? A Fender Standard P-Bass or Sandberg Electra (VS4 or M4) bass? which do you think sound better and which has a better build quality? I'm playing rock and metal mostly, but i also like to play pop and funk sometimes. Now i have Squier VM Jazz Bass, it is good for the money, but i'd like to pick something better, more professional. I want to switch to P-Bass or Electra M4 because i feel like jazz bass is not as p-bass or MM style basses in rock. I already tried MIM P-Bass in the local music store and it sounds nice, i really dig that massive tone that J-bass lacks, but Fender MIMs really feel like they lack build quality, because Squier Classic Vibe 50's P-Bass felt better in the hands in term of build quality and finish, but i can clearly hear that MIM has a better sound hands down, more open and rich. Please help me guys!

2. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Anyone? :c

3. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    While many people know the MIM line well, most aren't too familiar with the Sandberg product line, and have no idea about the pricing.

It would help if you offered up some specs and pricing info, or links to the Sandberg pages that deal with the models you're asking about.

4. The sandberg is gonna be better built and more versatile (active eq) but it costs more and is going to sound more modern than the p

Hallic and ShiftyFlatwound like this.
  5. ShiftyFlatwound

ShiftyFlatwound

Apr 3, 2015
    The Electra series of Sandberg are darn good! They are produced abroad and assembled back in Germany. The electronics and pickups are very good, as well for the overall quality. Zero fret included!

I've owned a TT4 which was very very good. Then I found out that I really was not a Jazz-ish bass player :)

Sandberg is more modern voiced, but reading the music styles you play I think it would be a good match.

Good luck!

6. recode

recode

Sep 10, 2013
    Latvia
    Thanks for the replies guys as for specs here are some links:

This one is M4 (I think this is something like MM style base):
    Electra M4

And this one is VS4 (it's Sandberg's P-Bass):
    Electra VS4

As for Fender MIM P-Bass i think everyone is familiar with their specs.

Prices for all three are almost identical, they cost around 700 euro for each in my region.

7. Hallic

Hallic

Sep 2, 2012
    I think you'll find the Sandberg be better quality. The fender MiM bass is not bad, its just that the Sandbergs are at least a level or 2 higher in quality&build.

Whether to with a MM, J or P sound pickup is up to you. All 3 are used in old and modern rock&metal music. The P pickups will have a more twang sound when slapping and M pickup is more evenly. The M pickup will sound broader/fatter while and will have a more mellow attack, while the P is bit more aggressive in its attack.

8. DUB1976

DUB1976 Guest

Nov 13, 2015
    I have owned both and just for the record I would buy the Sandberg Electra over an American Fender. I sold my 75 and 2014 Americans after the purchase of my sandbergs.

MobileHolmes and kodiakblair like this.
  9. dcbassist5

dcbassist5 Supporting Member

May 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown, Lakland, Hardwire
    The Sandberg Electra rivals the Fender USA Precision in build and tone! It also is way more versatile due to the active select and the looks! I'm a USA Fender and G&L guy all the way and I have my Sandy in regular rotation with those as well as Laklands!