Fender MIM

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by keithconn, Jun 25, 2002.

1. Hey everyone -

I have a Fender MIM P-bass Deluxe. Its the one with the J/P config. Anyway, I still have the p-ups that came with the bass.

My question: If I were to replace these p-ups what would you recommend getting, and would replacing them be worth the money? Would I hear and feel a big difference in how the bass sounds?

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. you could very well replace them. the question is, do you need to? unless the pickups are lacking something you want, i'd say save the money.

of course, you may want to change anyway. nothing wrong with that. there are lots of companies that make pickups for your bass. each company makes a few models. how much do you want to spend? what sound do you want? active? passive? there are so many options out there you'll have to be a little clearer about what you want out of your bass.
  3. Ok - I think you answered my question - perhaps I don't need to change them. To me the bass sounds fine, and everything works just fine too. I was wondering if the stock MIM fender pups were garbage or not, and maybe it was common practice to change them. I am pretty happy with what I got for the moment, so I guess they don't matter right now.

Thanks -
  4. they're not garbage, but they're not the best available either. it will sound different with other pickups, and maybe better, i'm just saying that unless you have a problem with them, you can save the money......

then again.... it is fun to buy stuff.....

it is common for people to buy mexican fender instruments and install new electronics, but they're the ones with lots of cash......
  5. I bought a mint used MIM J fretless for $250. Spent another $100 for a set of DiMarzio Model J pickups cuz the MIM 2001 models are still awfully noisy when solo.

I'm going to drop a Warmoth (P-width) ebony fretless unlined neck on to get rid of the Fender lines and Fender dead spots on the G string. I also have a J-Retro preamp ($235 or so) that will drop right in. This will take me up to the cost of a new MIA J fretless, but with better pickups, a better neck, and a killer active preamp.

Eventually, I'll reneck my MIM P with Warmoth to get rid of its dead spots and match both the look and feel between the two basses.

The MIM P has a Duncan Hot P installed now, which was a significant improvement in evenness and loudness over the stock pickup. To be fair, I suspect the stock P pickup would have improved a lot just with adjustment. Not so with the MIM stock J pickups. I have a DiMarzio Will Power Middle on order for the P, just to see how it sounds. I suspect it will be much more in-your-face than either the Duncan or the stock pickup.
  6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think that If you do decide to change them in the future, DiMarzio and EMG are two ways to go.

With DiMarzio PUs I find that getting a preamp is pretty much pointless since they already have a killer tone with alot of agressiveness.

It might be a good idea to get one anyways however and the EMG BTC is a good choice since it has bass and treble, and fits in the space of one knob. The VMC is also a good choice if your picky about your mids. It has mid frequency and mid cut/boost on one knob.

EMG pickups are also a good choice with or without a preamp, but in thier case I would probably recommend a preamp. Same as the ones I mentioned above.

If you dont mind adding more holes and knobs into your bass, then the options are endless.

Also these are just suggestoins I have for what I consider a good sound, but there is a good chance that you would thuink otherwise since everyone has their own idea of what a bass should sound like.

7. Velkov

Jan 17, 2001
    Lansdowne, Ontario
    From what I've heard about the Deluxe P-bass Special, their pickups are pretty good. I don't know if there's any point of spending $100 on new pickups to get the same sound. If the single coil bridge pickup really bugs you change only that one. Put a DiMarzio Ultra Jazz in. It's humbucking, so it's super quiet. As far as the P pickup is concerned, I don't think you can do much better than what you already have.