Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MiM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderKid2001, Aug 14, 2000.

1. FenderKid2001

FenderKid2001

Aug 11, 2000
    I am new to basses and such. I was wondering if you could me some info on the Fender MiM Bass?

Post Pics, info, anything...

Thank you!

-Jason :oops:

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  3. FenderKid2001

FenderKid2001

Aug 11, 2000
    :)

Thanks. I have been to that site many times, but I can't tell which is the MIA or which is the MiM.

Thank you for you help though

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Jason,the MIM basses are refered to there as the Standard J/P,Active dlx J,Deluxe P.The MIA are called American series,American dlx.The artist sigs are MIA.Good luck!

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Jason, the MIA all have the word "American" in the series. The only ones that don't are the Jaco bass, Roscoe Beck and Stu Hamm (I think I got them all). The Geddy Lee, the Marcus Miller and the "Lyte" basses are Japanese. The rest are MIM.

Mike

6. FenderKid2001

FenderKid2001

Aug 11, 2000
    ahhh, Ok.. I get it!

:)

Thank you everyone...

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    "That don't are"???

Anyway, Jason:

I went to guitar center today and since I was there, I took a gander at the MIM Fenders, as well as the Squiers. I was quite impressed by the sound of the Affinity P-Bass. It had a nice, punchy sound. I should mention, however, that It was plugged into a $1500 rig. Regardless of that fact, I found the instrument playable and for the sticker price of $149, I think it couldn't be much better. I was actually less impressed with the MIM Precision, which costs twice as much.

both basses has some hiss when you turned the treble all the way, but other thann that they sounded good.

Will C.

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Gee Will, the grammar checker in Microsoft Word doesn't have a problem with that sentence. :D

9. FenderKid2001

FenderKid2001

Aug 11, 2000
    Man.. either my computer is slowing down or you guys are to fast ;) My posts are all out of place! Man..

Guitar Center is having a big sale.. I think it's called 'Tap into Savings' because of the new Spinal Tap video..

Anyways, I can't believe that the MiM wasn't as good as the Squier. I am hearing mixed reviews on the Squier, people say it's good, others say it sucks and no one repect you if you play a Squier.. I need to go to Guitar Center or something and test it out on my own...

I looked at Fender.com and was looking around, and I found this..

[​IMG]

Would that be a MiM?.. I believe it is...

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Squier is kinda like Peavey or Ibanez, a lot of people will automatically say 'They suck!' without ever playing the model you're talking about, heck, a lot of people will say it without playing one, period!

There are good Squiers out there, you just gotta check them out good and play them through an amp as well, there are prizes to be found. I was impressed by the action on an Affinity Series(made in China!) Squier P Bass I picked up the other day. Was the fit and finish as good as the cheapest Ibanez or Yamaha? No, but the bass was $50 less($149.00). And it didn't sound half bad plugged into an amp, matter of fact, it sounded MUCH better than the $199.00 Ibanez.

Some people are just snobs when it comes to brands, as a veteran Peavey gear and Ibanez bass owner, I've taken that 'So and so sucks!' for years..

11. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    USA
    i have a squier affinity series presicion bass that is quite good, it has good action and its sound is quality, my squier was made in korea, its list price was 230, i got it on sale for 180, im sure you can find them cheap, theyre definetly a quality bass, i would recomend them, i would especially recomend them if youre looking to get something good for a relatively low price, im very satisified with my squier.

12. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    If people are going to judge you by the name on the headstock of your bass, their opinion doesn't mean *&^%.

I, too, amongst my more expensive Fenders, have an Affinity Precision and I really actually like it! (It's tough to compare it to my Am P Deluxe, but...)...I've found wonderful instruments in the Squier and MIM lines, and I think you'll be happy with either.

Just get one and PLAY...if you're into other people's opinions, at least let their opinion be about your playing ability...a good player is a good player regardless of the name on the headstock.

-GM

13. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    I'm not a big Fender fan.....but I had a Squier II bass and it was remarkably good for the price. I wish I still had it....:)

14. I love my Mexican Jazz. I had to put in Dimarzio's to kill the hum, and a badass2 for good measure.

[​IMG]

Chris

[Edited by throbbinnut on 08-15-2000 at 07:38 AM]

15. FenderKid2001

FenderKid2001

Aug 11, 2000
    Thats a Cool bass throbbinnut :D

I am going to test out basses today, I will test the Squier, MiM, MiA, Everthing..

Thank you all for your input on this Topic, I enjoy hearing your oppinions

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I met a guy yesterday who owns Ken Smith and Spector basses, among other things and just bought a Warwick Thumb bass. We were talking about what sounds we liked and I suggested he try a bass I saw on the wall at the used gear store we were in. He loved it, it had the growl he was looking for, he also loved the slap sound. I had suggested when he first picked it up to give it a few minutes because if he was like me, coming from sleek, fast-necked basses, it would probably feel like a table leg at first. Ten minutes later he was ready to buy it (I don't work at this or any store :D)The bass had just the right snap that he was looking for, was dead quiet in a room with fluorescent lights and the B was perfect for him. A well set-up, nice sounding axe.

The bass: Fender MIM Deluxe Jazz 5. $350 used. I pointed out the differences between the MIM and MIA. He mentioned changing the pickups so I asked him what he would change them to and why... he realized he loved the sound of it the way it was. He had also mentioned a BadAss II bridge. Again I asked him for what reason and he realized it would probably change the sound and since he already loved the sound and didn't have an actual problem with the bridge, what was the point?

If you listen objectively there are some pretty nice basses available for very little money.

17. FenderKid2001

FenderKid2001

Aug 11, 2000
    Well, the Fender MiM sounded Perfect for me! Perfect! The Squier also sounded good, but the Fender MiM sounded Perfect! The man at the store was really nice, ajusted everthing for me and stuff, Guitar Center was the store, he shoed me different Basses and stuff. Now, I need some Mula :)

18. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Glad to hear it, Jason. Save up a bit, get that bass, and start PLAYING!

Excited for you...:):D

-GM

19. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I think MiM Fenders are alot better than any Squiers.. Unless you get the higher end of Squiers.. :) but I mean.. thats all my opinion.. I have a Squier and I personally don't really like it at all ($150 P bass).. but then again, its hard to get a perfect match bass.. Just like looking for a woman. BUT ANYWAYS, It just depends on the person I guess :)

DM

20. That's a sharp looking bass Chris.

How did the Dimarzio's and new bridge affect the sound and feel?