Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender MIMBody wood question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gene Machine, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Gene Machine

Gene Machine

Mar 19, 2003
    Hi all.

I have a 2002 MIM J-Bass and I am really happy with it so far (2 weeks?) It is brown sunburst. I was curious about how thick the veneer was, and how much "real" wood was underneath, so I opened the control cavity.

Then I was confused.

There does not seem to be veneer, unless it is so thin that it is difficult to see. Also, Either the wood has a parallel grain, or this is a 'plywood' body. The grain is not perfectly straight, like plywood would be, it kind of curves slightly. So I'm confused.

I expected a 3-4 piece body with a veneer. not plywood.

ANYBODY KNOW????

Thanks.
    Gene:bassist:

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Fender does not use Plywood or vaneers on their MIM basses. The now use Alder bodies & on older ones they used Poplar. I don't know the exact year they changed from poplar to alder but it might of been 2000 or 2001.

The body might look lile plywood because when they route the cavity, it's done in layers. They cut about 1/8" or 1/4" at a time so it gives the appearance (sometimes) that's it's plywod.

3. Johnny Alien

Johnny Alien Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2003
    Harrisburg, PA, USA
    The sunbursts were always alder. There was an upcharge for that particular finish. Although listed as poplar most MIM have been alder for a couple of years now (so Fender employees say) because poplar was actually getting harder to get and more expensive to purchase. I think anything 2000 + is probably alder. This last year was the first year where they advertised as all MIM being alder instead of poplar.