1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

fender modern player coronado vs gretch 5442

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    im looking at getting a short scale hollowbody and i've narrowed it down to these 2. it would be pretty difficult to play one side by side and i haven't seen the new coronado in stores yet. the gretch sounded nice but im a fan of fender.

any thoughts on how the 2 would sound compared to each other especially with flats on?

i've tried the eastwood and it didn't sound/feel right to me

2. eldoryder

eldoryder I just LOVE me some Vintage Peaveys! Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Nacogdoches, TX
    Short of driving 150 miles to Houston, I'll never have a chance to play the Gretsch. With any luck, I'll only have to drive 100 miles to Shreveport (the opposite direction!) to actually play the Fender Coronado! Either way, I'm getting the Fender, because I'm a Fender guy, and I'm really excited that they are returning to this market after a 30 year absence.

Just imagine being able to tell someone 20 years from now that you bought one the first year they came out! Maybe that's not such a big deal, but if someone told me he had bought a Precision in '51, or a Jazz in '62(or was it '63?), I would be fascinated to hear the story today!

Besides, at the established street price of these, I don't see how you wouldn't be able to turn it almost immediately if you just plain hated it. Look over at the "Squier Bass VI" threads to see all the people still waiting on their August deliveries to get a sense of how long it's gonna take Fender to fully stock all models in all stores.

I would think that you can always get a Gretsch, but you can only get a NEW first year Coronado once!

Just my opinion, I could be wrong and often am!

P.S. The only reason I ever looked at an Eastwood was because they make a white one. And short of winning a lottery, I'll never be able to afford a White Falcon! I'll be stringing my Coronado with Fender 9050CL SS flats when I get mine.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The collector's value of a Chinese Fender will be nil.

4. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    I have not tried the new Coronados but I suspect they are nice. I have tried the 5442 many times, along with most of the other Gretsch basses. I live in fear that I will one day just break down and get a used mint Billy Bo Jupiter Thunderbird that a dealer has had forever here.

Putting that aside, the 5442 is very well built from what I have seen so far. The necks on them are very nice. I am not a huge fan of the pickups but and upgrade to TV Jones Thundertrons should be fairly easy. The bridge is very nice, easier to get good intonation than a traditional Gretsch Space Control.

I got the Eastwood Classic IV because the 5442 just did not exist when I got it. As much as I like the Gretsch Pro series, they are beyond my budget right now.

I did end up putting TVJones Thundertrons in it, getting a bone nut, and installing a Gretsch Space Control bridge. Those are really the three weakest points on the Eastwood: Bridge/Pickups/Nut.

My Gretsch bias aside, if you are looking for as close to perfect as possible intonation as possible, the fixed bridge on the Coronado will be a better fit.

So, basically, what I'm saying is get either one and get Thundertron pickups :)

blindrabbit likes this.
  5. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    Yeah I wouldn't want to change the pickups

Both look like they'd get the job done

6. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Falls Church, VA
    No experience with the Gretch bass, but I did get a chance to audition one of the new Fender Coronados at my local music store who just got one in ... very nice ... especially considering the low price point.

7. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    That's what they already have, isn't it? Gretsch says "Black Top Filter'Tron™", but I believe that's different words for the same thing - the illustration on TV Jones Thunder'tron page is a "NE Filter'Tron Mount with gold plating".

It's a bona fide hollow body bass, too. If you play it unplugged, next to a "semi hollow" or even a technically hollow body with a thick top, like my old Japanese Epiphone clone, the difference is really striking. I'm not ready to say it's really important when amplified, or even necessarily a good thing - I mean, there's the feedback issue - but if you want a hollow body bass, this is it. Or the G5123B, which puts you in normal 34" strings, with a 32" effective scale.

8. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    The fidelitron might very well be rebranded Thundertrons, the pickups in that gretsch are not however.

9. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
  10. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Well, the gretsch branded filtertrons are definitely not thundertrons. The build quality is not even close. Again: filtertron is not thundertron.

11. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Furthermore, as I stated before, I never played the me Coronado before. However, after googling it (in order to satisfy you), it looks like the Fidelitrons are also not rebranded TV Jones Thundertrons and actually different. So, thundertron != fidelitron != filtertron. There.

12. donn

donn

Mar 28, 2011
    Seattle
    Well, I don't know, but if you want a hollow body with TV Jones pickups, I can testify that the G5123B's pickups do say "TV Jones" right on top.

13. nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp

Well, I am not sure what the G5123B has to do with anything said in this thread so far or your link regarding the G5442BDC.

But, yes, the G5123B (a Guitar Center exclusive) does indeed come with Genuine TV Jones Thunder'Tron.

In case there is still confusion:

G6073 Electrotone™ Bass > TV Jones Thunder'Tron
    G6136LSB White Falcon™ Bass > TV Jones Thunder'Tron
    G6119B Broadkaster® Bass > Filter'Tron Bass Pickup
    G6128B Thunder Jet™ Bass > TV Jones Thunder'Tron
    G6199B Billy-Bo Jupiter Thunderbird Bass > TV Jones Thunder'Tron
    G5442BDC Electromatic® Hollow Body Short Scale Bass > Black Top Filter'Tron™
    G5440LS Electromatic® Hollow Body Long Scale Bass > Black Top Filter'Tron™
    Gretsch Electromatic G5123B Hollowbody > TV Jones Thunder'Tron
    G2210 Junior Jet™ Bass > Gretsch® Mini Humbucking
    G2220 Junior Jet™ Bass II > Gretsch® Mini Humbucking

14. k-Plunk

k-Plunk

Feb 27, 2009
    Dallas
    The G5442 has great tone but a serious neck dive. Has anyone gotten their hands on a Coronado yet?

15. Timpala

Timpala

Nov 13, 2011
    IOWA
    I am also interested in the new Gretsch short scale hollow body bass. I do like the new Coronado and Starcaster basses from what I have seen on YouTube, but I think that they are both semi-hollow basses and not full hollow basses. I could be wrong? It doesn't really matter to me as long as they have a nice fat sounding neck pickup. I am also considering the Hofner Club bass. I would love to hear more comparisons on these basses.

16. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    ?:
    Sv nm Fds. SGAWTVRFA wdravq

17. Coronado has the center solid wood block and it is heavy as hell: 10 lbs (4,5 kg).

It just plays as a standard solid body bass, to me. At least mine does. Aggressive and modern. Nothing like the old thumpy Coronado. But lots of usable tones out of the two pickups... (Boy: isn't that a real beauty?)

14nmmg8.