1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Modern Player Jazz 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by topcat2069, Apr 1, 2014.

1. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    Anybody that owns one…. I would like to hear your impressions on the pickups and switching. How do they sound, how does the switching affect the sound and volume ?

I read and re-read all the threads I could find about the MP Jazz 5 so I'm looking for specific information and reviews on the pickups and their capabilities.

2. I had a 4 string model. The pickups were good, pretty high output and a good tone.

There was a volume jump from two singlecoils on to both humbuckers. The increase was smaller when switching to one singlecoil & one humbucker.

The outer coils did a good approximation of the typical Jazz sound, not 100% but more than adequate in a band mix. The humbuckers still sounded like a Jazz to me, but 'more'. Very full, and deep sound.

I found the best tone for me was neck humbucker, 100% volume, and bridge singlecoil, rolled back to 75%,with the tone backed off a lot. Sounded like a beefy PJ in the mix, to my ears.

This applies to the Satin version with the 4 way pickup selector, not the older gloss model.

3. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    Thank You… that's what I wanted to know…..