1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Modern Player Jazz Bass Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thebasserator, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Just picked up one of the new Basses in Fender's Modern Player series. I went for the MP J-bass, been wanting one forever, saw the MP's price and went with it.

There are four humbuckers overall, two in the neck and two in the bridge position on this bass. I can get great sound out of it, but I get the feeling that the standard pickups aren't the best quality.

In a perfect world I'd be able to switch these out for some EMGs in the same arrangement, but haven't seen any replacement pickups yet. Since this bass just came out a year ago I'm not so sure they make them yet.

I don't want to do any wiring because I wouldn't trust myself wielding a glue gun or doing any saudering on my new bass. Whats the best way for me to switch out these pickups?

0241600500_frt_wlg_001.

2. These have caught my eye too. I need to go play a few, and hear a few in a live environment.

3. Reviving an old thread. Does anybody make replacement pick-ups in that housing style?

4. giuseppecaporus

giuseppecaporus

Dec 19, 2013
    Italy
    The best way is to buy a passive preamp with coil switch and series parallel I saw one on eBay if I found it I'll post the link !

5. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    I don't think such a thing exists.

I'm not up to speed with the wiring in a MP Jazz, but if you could get those pickups working with four or five wire configs then you could get a range of tones.

Replacement pickups are possible;

DualJazz_md.

PU-DJX-B.

6. giuseppecaporus

giuseppecaporus

Dec 19, 2013
    Italy
  7. Azwethinkweiz43

Azwethinkweiz43

May 4, 2012
    SGD Music Products Home Make AWESOME picks they have replacements

8. mAd66

mAd66

Dec 15, 2013
    @Azwethinkweiz43 At first glance I don't see the model you may be referring to. Perhaps you could link me to the right product? Thanks man!

9. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
  10. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Neo DLX Soapbar appears to be it to me

11. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Those look like a soap bar split, and a double Jazz single. Right? If so, that's interesting.

12. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Yea it's a funky design. Seems to be two single coil j sticks incased in appoxy and stacked. It's got a wild sound. I just got one over the weekend. But I feel like it needs an upgrade.

13. Jewce

Jewce

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    Probably sounds huge if you got two. Bridge and neck

14. Jscriv

Jscriv

Feb 3, 2017
    Oh it's got two. Crazy range in tone for a volume-volume- tone configuration

Attached Files:

15. Azwethinkweiz43

Azwethinkweiz43

May 4, 2012
    He makes a few different styles. I got the Alnico Vintage style (literally just 2 J pups glued together with 4 leads) Hook that sucker up to a double stacked push pull...ENDLESS POSSIBILITY IMG_20180419_091305_01.