Fender Modern Player Jazz V Electronics Upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by funk_doc, Jul 21, 2018.

1. funk_doc

funk_doc

Dec 2, 2012
    New Jersey
    So I have a Fender Modern Player Jazz V that I would like to upgrade the electronics. I've never done anything like this before so any advice would be much appreciated.

It currently has 4 Alpha Pots that I wanted to upgrade to CTS. It has a 4 Position Rotary, 2 250K Volumes and a Master Tone (250K). The 250K's were easy enough to find but the 4 position seems to be getting away from me. I'm seeing that the rotary's come in different Poles and I'm unsure as to which one I have. Is there a way to tell by physically looking at it? Is there a go-to website that everyone uses for these items?

Thanks

2. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Are you having problems with your current electronics? If not, I wouldn’t expect any major difference from the “upgrade”.

Yahboy and soulman969 like this.
  3. funk_doc

funk_doc

Dec 2, 2012
    New Jersey
    3 of the 4 positions on the rotary switch have a hum. I kind of want to be reassured that there are no "loose ends" while I'm in there and just switch them all out.

Also, for my curiosity and the experience. It's something I feel as if I should know how to do by now.

4. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado

Amen or at least not tonally.

5. funk_doc

funk_doc

Dec 2, 2012
    New Jersey
    It has nothing to do with tone. Like I said, there is a hum coming from 3 of my 4 rotary positions I'm hoping to eliminate.

6. soulman969

soulman969 Inactive

Oct 6, 2011
    Englewood, Colorado
    Could be a ground issue but it's your bass and therefore your choice. :thumbsup:

Some do expect tonal improvements and are disappointed when that doesn't happen so it's oft mentioned.

funk_doc likes this.
  7. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Upgrading pots, switches, and jacks (if done correctly) can improve things slightly by eliminating hum, noise, and crackle if those are present but the difference is unlikely to be hugely significant.

funk_doc likes this.
  8. funk_doc

funk_doc

Dec 2, 2012
    New Jersey
    I wasn't even thinking of it from a tonal point of view and honestly wouldn't expect much of a difference anyway. Unless I maybe went from 250K to 500K.

Mainly just to clean up any interference. My input jack is a little suspect as well so I want to just make sure all the guts are up to par. Plus I can do a much cleaner wiring/soldering job than how it currently is and I'd like to become more familiar with doing little projects like this.

9. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Sounds like you have the right idea.

funk_doc likes this.
  10. funk_doc

funk_doc

Dec 2, 2012
    New Jersey
    Reassurance is always welcome.

Now, back to my original question, any one know where I can find the CTS equivalent of the Alpha pots I have? Specifically, the 4 Position Rotary and how to identify how many poles mine has?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 27, 2021