1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Modern Player Jazz V Satin--who has one?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by walldaja, Mar 8, 2016.

1. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Who has them and where do you play?

Attached Files:

2. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Apparently no one has or uses one? Thot the black PG was a little too bland.

Attached Files:

3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Modern Player Jazz V was only in production for maybe a year. So no, I don't think you will get many responses.

topcat2069 likes this.
  4. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    I sold one and traded one away. Not that they weren't great basses (best Fender bass for the price if you ask me), I had the opportunity to try other things so I went for it. I wish I wouldn't have sold the Sunburst- it was my tour buddy for over a year. They were a little on the heavy side, but for the price it was a no-brainer.

jjk2007 and walldaja like this.
  5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I had a four string version for a while. Damn fine bass. It had the truss wheel that all basses should have. I played it at various locations such as my home, friends houses, rehearsal studios and a few bars.

topcat2069 and walldaja like this.
  6. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    To me it is amazing how quickly this model was parted out on eBay. It is the best playing and sounding bass I have. I've had mine since 2013 and have never had to adjust the truss rod, I have done that to every other bass I have.

7. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs
    I have a "built" IV string, I believe the pickups were made for the Roscoe Beck series... and when they ran out so did the series.

"In 1995 we began working closely with the legendary pickup designer Bill Lawrence. We were trying to develop a pickup that would accurately reproduce the B string on a five string bass while still retaining the unique tonality of the Fender Jazz Bass. The result was the highly acclaimed pickup in the Roscoe Beck Artist Series Five-String bass."

The whole page:

Bill Lawrence Website

GoodShot.

I play mine in the studio, I don't play out any more so I needed something that would give me the variations in tone at the flick of a switch so I had mine rewired: Vol / Bal / 2 3 way switches one for each pickup (series/single/parallel) and tone. (BTW, if you're wondering, it a Squier Jazz Bass "77 neck)

I love the smoothness of the parallel, the tightness of the single coil and the power of the series coil, and the fact that I can balance the two pickups gives me such a range of tones that I don't need any other Bass.

I also have the complete wiring harness and pickups (including pickguard) for a 5 string just waiting to be installed in some new project in the future.

20150820_120209.

Upper Left Corner

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    walldaja likes this.
  8. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I had one for awhile a couple of years ago. I thought it was well priced for what you got but found it to be on the heavy side. Ended up replacing it with my Schecter Hellraiser Extreme 5.

DSC00244-2_zps37ecd11b.

TD

9. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Seems biggest complaint was weight. It is my heaviest bass just short of 11 pounds. But it is the best sounding / playing.

10. bajo_scl

bajo_scl

May 11, 2016
    I have the white one. My first 5er.. it is a really nice bass! Pretty fat warm tone :)
    2016-08-20 22.09.07.

11. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    I've done what most seemed to have done, sold the beast. Would have kept it but more interested in downsizing and found an Ibanez SR655 with incredible sound and can go passive or active. Got annoyed when Fender couldn't or wouldn't respond to a simple question, how many Jazz Vs made. Still holding onto Starcaster, though it lives in a case under a bed.

12. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Got to listen as the guy who bought it from me was playing at church. Sounded nice but I don't miss it.

13. bajo_scl

bajo_scl

May 11, 2016
    I am now looking for an active 4 string... I don't have much money to spend.. I'm between a squier deluxe iv or a rosewood sterling sb14... don't know yet which one