1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Modern Player Telecaster opinions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quarternote, Jan 15, 2012.

1. quarternote

quarternote

Jan 31, 2009
    Wisconsin
    For some reason, I am interested in a Modern Player Telecaster. I should say that I am a P bass player. Opinions on these Telecasters with the two humbuckers?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I like it... just registered via a link on Fender's FB this morning to try to win one. I'm betting they sound great with some broke in LaBella flats and a hunk of foam under them at the bridge.

3. Thumper

Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I received mine last Friday. I am also a P guy, but have long wanted a Telecaster to mod, but didn't want to carve up a vintage one. I also wanted body contours so the Modern Player T fits the bill nicely. I've done a minor review on a couple of related threads here in Basses, as well as one in Strings. So far I'm very impressed with this bass and think they fill a niche for P guys who want a Jazz flavor (bridge PUP solo'd) or to be able to get some massive bottom.

I've seen American Standard basses that weren't put together this well.

Again, I can't wait to play this through my rig!

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
  5. bobthegood

bobthegood

Jul 17, 2010
    Maplewood, MN
    A Chinese Fender, really?? Japan & Mexico, I've owned some really good units, but China....? Shipped in a box w\o a cheap case?? Well, after 6 months’ worth of reading, looking, and demo’ing, I pushed the button and picked one up in butterscotch blonde. With a 30 day return policy, took the chance.
    So far, I'm enjoying the heck out of this bass. It's "allegedly" been to a couple of practices, and used at a show as the #2 bass this past weekend. Fit and finish out of the box was excellent, and came set up with lower action than most of my other units. Left the shipping strings for the experience, and will likely swap out for some quarters or flats.
    Straight and easy playing neck; very slight Fender dead zone on the G; good overall balance; and a tad on the heavier side @ 9+. Then again, compared to my EBMM 4 or 5'er, the weight is really not an issue.
    What I really bought it for are the two humbuckers. No placement exactly like it out there that I'm aware of. Tons of tone and variations-from old school growl to great Motown thump, and without any boxes or gadgets. Ran it through a MB III with a 2x10 and 1x15 cab (tried a Sadowski preamp, but no need), then ran it through a GK Fusion with an Ampeg 1/2 stack. Played extremely well.
    This bass is so far over-performing my expectations. It's not going to play like a high end unit, but it's way way better than the price point. If you want to grind out some good old rock and roll with a great looking really fun bass, this is it. And what would you do with another cheap case anyhow.

Bass V and Pyrat like this.