1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Modern Player

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HollywoodXIII, May 26, 2016.

1. HollywoodXIII

HollywoodXIII

Dec 10, 2015
    SUPER IMPORTANT: THE (PASSIVE) PICKUPS ON MY MODERN PLAYER JAZZ BASS JUST DIED AND WON'T PICK UP ANYTHING. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN GET REPLACEMENTS?

2. tbplayer59

tbplayer59

Jan 20, 2013
    I'd ask how you diagnosed this to determine it was the pickups that are your problem.

3. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Chances that both pickups died, (assuming the bass was plugged into a bass amp, or preamp, and not plugged into something odd, like a wall socket), are so slim...it didn't happen. The problem could be several things, (a bad cable, a loose or broken wire, a bad pot, or a bad jack), those are the most common. If you're using a good cable, and your amp works, have a good technician check it out, it is most likely not something as expensive as pickups. If I were looking for the problem, I would first check the jack, with a meter, (not by looking at it), then check every pot, and every wire, that would take 20 mins at most (many techs charge by the hour only, still not very costly), the parts, (to replace everything except the pickups is around $20 + labor), and I'm pretty sure you don't need everything. Replacement pickups are a different story, unless you find used ones, they are gonna be costly, they are uncommon sizes. A pickup going bad on a fairly new bass can happen, but would be quite unusual, 2 going bad at once....very doubtful, the pickups would be the very last thing I would check.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. HollywoodXIII

HollywoodXIII

Dec 10, 2015
    I checked the wiring, pots, parts, they're all clean. Thank you for your help!

5. You don't have to believe me as well as other guys here who have been messing up with pickups for decades but there is NO WAY both of your pickups are dead unless you left your bass under water for a month perhaps (I have owned over 100 basses and never had even one pickup crapping on me). It is a little like global warming, you can be the one guy who says that 95% of the world scientists are wrong and it is your choice.
    Take your bass to a good tech and I have zero doubt he'll figure out the issue.
    If you end up replacing your "dead" pickups please send them to me, I'll pay for shipping :D

Last edited: Jun 7, 2016
    Hopkins likes this.
  6. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Are you getting no sound at all, or static/low output. As everyone else said, it is highly doubtful that both pickups just died at the same time. You can basically eliminate that as a possibility. If you have no sound at all, your signal is being shunted to ground. If you have low output and static, you most likely have an ungrounded output jack

Killed_by_Death likes this.