1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender MP Jaguar or Geddy Lee...?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PBnJBassist, Jan 17, 2012.

1. PBnJBassist

PBnJBassist

Mar 8, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    My mind has been driving me insane with all this GAS and such. I've narrowed it down to two choices, and one of them (the Fender Modern Player Jaguar) is the only one that I have yet to test. I have heard the MP basses are made in the same factory as the Squier Classic Vibe line, and from prior experiences, I absolutely adored those basses. The reviews and feedback on these Modern Players is only adding fire to my GAS and now that I have the money, there are only the following choices left:

Fender Modern Player Jaguar & Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass USED

I love glossed necks, Fender, and maple boards. My preference towards glossed necks and maple boards are so high, that I would pass up any bass (stock) if it had a rosewood board and a non-glossed neck. At this point, the "to each their own" rule applies, so just ignore my ignorance there and I'll get back on topic.

My preference lean towards the Jaguar just for its pickup configuration. I love having the option of a split-coil precision pickup and the extra treble from a single-coil at the bridge. However, I have yet to get my hands on one. Where I split is the Geddy Lee bass. I've always avoided Jazz basses since I've purchased my Fender Classic '50s Precision bass and the only Jazz basses I have owned previously were Squier basses and a Fender Fretless Jazz from the late '90s. Last month, I finally decided to give a Geddy Lee a try, both plugged and unplugged - and it was instant love. The tone was obliviously heaven to my ears and the feel was dead-on-the-spot, let alone completely opposite to my own preferences of a fat 'n' wide necked Precision bass that I'm so used to playing.

I was definitely surprised since I've tested every MIA Fender model available at the closest Guitar Center and all of them felt "not right" to me. Yet, the Geddy Lee was just stellar. I've played other MIJ Fender basses before, both Precision & Jazz, but only when they pop in used at a Guitar Center - and every single time, I'm floored at how well those MIJ Fenders feel (to me). However, I must keep reiterating that the Geddy Lee is miles beyond how the other MIJs felt and sounded.

Now, the big question: Anyone out there have more testimony on the Fender MP Jaguars and have also played a Geddy Lee to compare them with. Hell, I would take an ear's worth of guidance to help me on this call.

I want the Geddy Lee, but if the MP Jaguar bass is able to be on par with the Geddy Lee, then it will be worth the investment. If not, I'll just purchase a Geddy Lee used for $100-200 more than a brand new MP Jaguar and sell of the BAII bridge to lessen the difference.

Any and all help would be appreciated. Also, at the moment, I play Classic Rock, Blues, J-Pop/Rock, a bit of the "classic" metal (like Iron Maiden & Black Sabbath) from time-to-time, and anything else that sounds good to me. A bit of folk & indie rock and a dabble of modern hard rock. I also love playing with flatwounds, but after playing the Geddy Lee, I'm thinking rounds are the only way to go with either bass at this point.

2. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    It sounds like you like the geddy more, if its instore used and not beat up get the geddy. You might want to even look at a P/J bass, throw some flats on those and you can get the sound similar to Steve Harris. But the geddy is a great choice, and string wise for the geddy, I would say Swing 66's. I use them on a fretted 4 j and 6.

3. Marihino

Marihino

Mar 25, 2010
    London
    do you still own that Classic '50s P? If so, I'd say get a Geddy. It's a brilliant bass. I've tried a few, and all of them were perfect (for what they are, whis isn't exactly my thing).