1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender MPJV

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cerokilik, Oct 24, 2013.

1. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    So went to swap out the nut on my MPJV bass and discovered the nut I had ordered for it was too short(spacing is the same) its just there is less material without grooves in it then on the original. I dislike the original due to not much material is left and the strings are and will cut into the neck/fretboard.

Should I be concerned and how can I resolve this issue?(probably should have checked the length before ordering but it was the only one with the same width needed.

Thanks in advance

2. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I would take it to a luthier and have a nut made for the bass. I do a lot of my own repairs, but getting the grooves right in a new nut drives me crazy. A good luthier will get it right and probably better than it ever was.

3. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    the grooves are perfect, the length of the nut isn't its too short as in the slot in the neck is too long <--> not ^v. plus I don't have the money for the most local Luthier if he can even be considered one the work is so atrocious. 110 for him to put on strings, make the nut, the blank and a setup. I'd rather spend that money elsewhere just my opinion and preference though.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Photos will help; I can't understand what the problem is, yet.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

JLS, The nut isn't wide enough. Go.

6. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    guitar center, in and out in 30 minutes, plus if you are charming they will do it cheap, because you aren't getting the new strings/full setup, dude charged me less than 30 dollars for the replacement plus 12 for the nut

7. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    Called guitar center and they said 55-75 depending on his mood plus 7 for the nut plus 25 for setup. I'd have to leave it for a week as well. This is another reason I don't care for the luthier.

8. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    "Guitar center", and, "luthier", are rarely in the same paragraph, unless it's a joke...

9. what's MPJV? I don't think I came across this acronym before

Anywho, buying a preslotted nut is almost always a bad idea. One minor exception is if you buy a Fender made nut for a Fender made instrument, those usually work ok. If the spacing is right at the strings, but the nut is too short lengthwise in the slot it should be fine. Cosmetically bad but functional.

10. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    MPJV = Modern Player Jazz 5?

11. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    guess i was lucky to get out of there for 40

12. people with their abbreviations, smh. :)

13. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

He he he, you took my words. You'd be nuts to get your nuts at GC!

Leave it for a week! PFFT.