Fender, Music Man and G & L: Why don't they make 6 Stringers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blackbird, Jul 14, 2005.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    With all the modifications and "upgrades" that Fender has made over the years, why don't they have that option?

I understand not wanting to change a winning formula, but in their case, it seems more of a refusal to accept any evolution in design that wasn't already done by Fender in the past. Yes, Fender once had a Bass V, so it's ok to have a V model with a B string now.

Even if they don't expect to have any market share, would it kill these companies if they made at least one sixer or had it as an option? Surely, a Roscoe Beck 6 would be very popular and if Music Man has the Ernie Balls to put out a Bongo, surely a 6 string model would be a welcome addition.

Maybe G & L should take the lead on this. Atelier Z makes a 6 string jazz already, so they could too. How about it: an L2600 bass.

2. Kibuddy

Apr 30, 2005
    Personally, I'd think 6ers would be HUGE successes for them. Fender is already one of the most (if not THE most) bought basses in the world, and with the recent popularity of ERBs, they would more than likely do very, VERY well. The same goes for Music Man. I frankly can't see why they won't do it...
  3. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    The thought of a G&L 6er makes me all warm and tingly inside :)
  4. There was a thread on this not too long ago. I'm pretty sure that the reason for the lack of 6 string basses from the Leo Fender-derived companies is because they are "meat and potatoes" manufacturers that also build guitars, and 6 string basses aren't really congruent with their design philosophy.
  5. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    Fender allready make 6 strings bassess...
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because the people at Musicman hate me.
  7. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    They sell what sells. period. They make enough money with 4s and 5ers, im sure theyre content.
  8. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    They can't figure out what note the 6th string should be tuned to.
  9. Because 6 strings are a tiny tiny fraction of the bass guitar market and it would cost more than it's worth for design and building new machines for the work and for the resources, including manpower, they'd have to devote to it.

Is that not obvious?
  10. FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    That guy from AAF has a six string Fender.
  11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  12. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    If you think Fender, EB/MM, and G&L are "traditional", I'll bet right now that those guys will come out with a 6-string bass (tuned BEADGC, that is... not counting the "baritone guitars" they make) long before Rickenbacker ever does! Rickenbacker barely even makes a 5-string.

It's also interesting that Sadowsky doesn't make a sixer.
  13. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    The market for sixers is still small, so certain companies that make them are going to get all of the sixer business.

I don't know Fenders to have a good reputation with 5's, and their attempts at more innovative things just seem wrong. I wouldn't object to a G&L or MM6, but it's hard to invision.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

They won't even make a fiver with wide string spacing, so I guess they hate me too.
  15. Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    Rickenbacker's still a company? ;)
  16. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I think the ERB market is bigger than you guys think. for on thing, MANY gospel bassists that i see on TV have luthier made 6 stringers. Also, many TB'ers have brice 6 stringers. So i don't think that market share is the problem.

I believe that these companies know that what they have now will continue to sell, so they cut costs by not doing as much R & D. Look at EB; instead of developng a stringray6, they developed a whole new bass; the bongo. this has undoubtedly made them more revenue than a 6 stringer.

That being said, i would like to own a 6 string bongo tuned F#BEADG :rolleyes:
  17. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
  18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    One of the baritone guitars that Kurt mentioned about 11 hours before your post. Please try and keep up. :D
  19. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, but everybody hates you. So, it shouldn't come as too much of a shock. :ninja:
  20. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    They're alive and very well actually. They sell instruments faster than they can make them, thus leading to some dealer frustrations like beadgc's friend. ;) They won't go the Fender route of introducing lines of cheaper, more mass-produced, import models though.