Fender Musicmaster bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmantele, Feb 4, 2004.

1. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    What can you tell me about this bass? I bought it in about 1975, and it sat in the closet/basement ever since. When I took it out last year the nut was split in pieces by the strings. It's light blue, single pickup, 30 in. scale length. Worth setting up, or Ebay material?

Another question. The nut slot is radiused, similar to the fretboard. Can I get nut blanks that are curved on the bottom or do I have to cut one to fit?

2. I say it's a cool find. Set it up!
  3. natasmi

Apr 30, 2002
    I'm looking for a nice shortscale bass, and I'm the kinda guy that would spend the time carving a new nut. I'm pretty sure nut blanks are all flat. If you want to let it go I'll drive up there and buy it, I live in CT.
  4. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Great bass! I LOVE my '78 and will never part with it, (my original'78 was stolen lo these many years ago!)...

As far as the nut, genuine Fender replacement blanks have the curve along the bottom... You'll want to take some care when fitting these as they're pretty brittle. I find 'em at Guitar Center with no problem, but lemme know if you can't find any... I'm pretty sure I have a spare the I could send out.

5. bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA

Thanks. Last time I tried GC the dood kept thinking I was talking about the top edge being radiused, not the bottom surface. I couldn't get past it, so I gave up. I'll try again.
  6. Faceley

Dec 28, 2003
    North Carolina
    another simple thing to do is go to Warmoth.com they sell String nut blanks and you can get them curved.