1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Musicmaster Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexander, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I may have the opportunity to buy a Fender Musicmaster (short-scale) bass. It is pretty old and cosmetically speaking looks rather beat up. But the neck seems very nice. It only has 3 strings on it, but I plugged it in and it sounded pretty good. The pots need to be blown out and the input jack needed a bit of work as it faded in and out, but they said they'd take care of all that as part of the purchase.

I was wondering if anyone here might be able to help me determine in what year the bass was manufactured (the serial number was stamped on the neckplate and I believe was 25XXX). When I looked online, it seemed to indicate the bass was a 1958, but I do not believe this bass entered production until the mid-1960s. Perhaps it was 25XXXX, making it a 1969/70 instead. Thoughts?

Any ideas on what a fair asking price might be? I want to make sure I don't get taken to the cleaners on the deal. Was going to give it to my son to learn on...

2. Fresh Eddie

Fresh Eddie

Nov 13, 2008
    The Musicmaster Bass came out much later than the Musicmaster guitar... I do not think there were any made in the '60s. The early ones had heart shaped tuners... I used to have one that was a '71. I used to be a Musicmaster freak, so I also had a beige '61 six stringer and a trans-red '78.

It was a fun little bass, it sounded much better through a gu*tar amp than a bass amp (IMHO.) When they sold them new, they came with a Musicmaster amp, but I have never played through one.

3. Joe Milstein

Joe Milstein Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 7, 2007
    Central New Jersey
    Gamma Bass Guitars
    I have a 78 MusicMaster. It the greatest instrument!

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the reply - from what little digging I've been able to do, it seems they came out in the mid-1960s, but you likely know more than me! I appreciate it - any thoughts on what it might be worth?

5. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Any ideas? Is £130 a good deal? Seems so, but the finish is pretty trashed...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Musicmaster basses started in 1970 (ended in '78 or '79 I think). I'm sure the serial number was 6 digits, which would make it a '70s bass. (You can narrow it down further with a google search.)