1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Musicmaster bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Denny Coon, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Can anyone tell me anything about this bass? I dont know alot about Fenders... Whats it worth, history etc; Thank you for your time in advance!! It has a plain square neckplate with the serial number...3G6224, or 366224?

Attached Files:

2. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    The Musicmaster is a short scale bass (30") and was made in the USA from 1971 to 1981 from spare Mustang parts, and used a guitar pick-up. It's was Fender's economy bass at the time. The one pictured is an early 70's version, which many say are more desirable than the later ones. There seems to be an abundance of 1978 models on ebay, where MusicMasters tend to fetch about $500-$600.

I briefly owned an early 70's model and I loved it. It had a slim, fast neck which was a lot of fun to play, and it sounded like a little P-Bass. Unfortunately I had to sell it to pay off some fines, and had a hard time trying to decide to keep my MusicMaster or my CIJ Mustang. I'm still wondering if I made the right choice.

3. Yep! That's an earlier model (my fave color/pickguard combo, too!).

Their prices tend to fluctuate more than most basses... on ebay; i've seen them as low as $300 and as high as $1600. Generally i seem them actually selling in the $500-$800 range.

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    What about one with what looks like two jazz pickups? 1970 I think. How are those?

5. lpcarter

lpcarter Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Minneapolis, MN
    that's a fun little bass! i've owned a few, one was a 78 (didn't like it) and one was an earlier model...that color, same tuning knobs. LOVED it. I'd say go for it if you have the cash, great little instrument.

6. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    agent77 is exactly right in every detail. The tugbar position and tuners point to early seventies. I have a '71 and it is indeed fun to play. My stock pickup works and sounds great, a lot of people change them out though.

7. the art guy

the art guy Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2008
    Iowa
    Yep - early '70s. If it plays well and no issues, I'd put the value at around 500 in that condition. Maybe slightly more.

8. Looks just like the one I sold last year. Dakota Red. Play it. I liked mine.

9. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    Loved it too! haha, and Agent is right...thats one of the earlier models due to the design of the headstock logo and lack of serial number up there. I would hold on to it if you like it :)

10. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    That was a sweet bass, Ty. Wish I coulda kept it.

11. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    That aged daphne was killer. My homemade MM just blew it out of the water. Plus I'm hooked on ABGs now

12. Thats a 71-73. That looks in nice shape, I haev sold 2 recently. Both I think were '78's one was completely destroyed I got $350 , the other was in good shape, didnt look as clean as yours and I got $525. I think do to that being earlier its worth abotu $600. Its hard to find buyers to pay more then that for what many deem as a student model, I like them though.

13. Denny Coon

Denny Coon

Jan 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Thanks for the help guys!

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    I have a 74' Oly white that has changed to dirty nicotine yellow. It's a great lil bass and fun to play. The shop wanted $500 and I got mine thru trades and a little cash. I think 500 to 600 in top shape is about fair and market.

15. ShirazBop

ShirazBop Gold Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    I had that same Dakota Red/Rosewood Musicmaster...1974... Bought it with a the 1x12 Musicmaster Amp... Great starter bass! Traded it in for my Black and Maple Precision that I still have. Was a blast to learn on that instrument!

16. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    They're fun. I've got a '78 that I keep telling myself I'm going to sell, but I don't really want to part with it. Many people upgrade the pickups; the original guitar pups can be fairly low output and prone to humming. Aero Musicmasterer is one choice, Bill Lawrence Twinrails, and DeMarzio copies of the Bill Lawrence are good possibilities. Those earlier "tulip" tuners are cool looking, but I think I've heard that they aren't as durable as the later, beefier cloverleafs.

17. TeeZeeMee90

TeeZeeMee90

Jan 22, 2013
    North AL
    I dig the original tuners. Theyre different than you see on every other fender now-a-days. I liked the original PU no lie, and the MM clone I made out of a Bronco has a early 70s duo sonic neck pickup...trying to keep it legit

18. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    My 71's (white/white pearloid PG, white DiMarzio PU) original tuners are solid. And they look cool as shiite!

19. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have a '77 oly white one. Great little bass and for being so small has a big sound, At rehearsal I run it through a late 60's Ampeg B25B and it is real punchy. It's a different flavor, maybe not for everyone but they are cool vintage pieces. 500-700 depending on the weather and how bad someone wants it. mm2.

20. spufman

spufman

Feb 7, 2005
    Central CT
    Here's my '71. I re-finished with the Reranch cans and put on Lakland flats, but otherwise it is bone stock. Tuners work fine but are slightly painful when stringing - sharp edges.

MM_After_03.