Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fender musicmaster

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cbsovtek, Jan 5, 2006.

1. cbsovtek

cbsovtek

Jan 5, 2006
    Hello all, I acquired a 1976 musicmaster and I wanted to add some better pickups in it and change the bridge. I was going to route out a spot for some bartolini p-bass pickups, and maybe throw on a badass 1. I was curious to other opinions on how this bass will sound. Is it worth the trouble. I have heard some really good sounds out of improved classic musicmasters. Also the bridge does not have the right holes for this bass, but I was wondering if the new one could be installed (drill new holes) effectively in place of the old one. Please let me know what you think. Thanks!

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have a mid 70's Musicmaster that I bought a few years ago for my nephew. Do you plan on making it one of your main gigging basses?

Here's what I wanted to do with my Musicmaster:

1. Replace the stock bridge with a standard Fender-style 5 screw bridge
    2. Replace the stock pickup with a P-style pickup
    3. Replace the stock tuning gears with ultra-lite Hipshots.
    4. Replace the stock control knobs with P-Bass style chrome knobs.

I imagined the bass would sound pretty darn good with these mods, but when I figured up the cost of the parts, it exceeded the total cost of the bass. So I gave up on the idea.

But hopefully my plans may help you if you decide on upgrading yours.

-Art