Fender Mustang Bass - fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nil, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Anyone ever come across one of these? It's a competition red (white racing stripes) 196? Fender Mustang fretless bass...neck and headstock original, (looks like an) ebony fingerboard, faint dot markers on the maple part of the neck.

If it ain't factory, it's such a good job it should be. The fact that the dot markers are BELOW the fingerboard (on the maple neck itsself) make me think it came this way from the factory.

Plays like crap and intonates like nothing else (ie BAAAAD), but it was my very first bass, and for $350NZD a bargain.

Any info would be good...never found anything myself over the years...
  2. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I've never heard of a 'factory' fretless Fender anything from before 1970, but that doesn't mean they don't exist... I would think that the dots would be on the fingerboard itself, rather than down on the maple... I had my '78 Musicmaster converted to fretless back in '81... Cost about $100 to get the frets removed and filled with maple lines. The guy did a great job and it was such a fantastic player... Stolen in '84 and I miss it dearly :(

3. Yeah, I had expected this to be a conversion, but it's an unlined (looks like ebony) board, and the dots are definitely below it, on the maple neck - Mustang basses i've seen in my time have the markers on the fretboard portion (actually, can't remember whether "normal" Mustangs have a separate fingerboard or not?).

I've had the bass for a while now and it (like one of my weird Rickenbackers) has always been a question that i've never been able to answer.