Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang Bass Knobs Question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RATZAX, Jun 13, 2005.

1. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    I have many Basses and guitars and do almost all my own repairs. But I just got a 1980 Fender Mustang bass and each of the Tuners have a tight spot .It is a problem between the Tuner Paddle shaft and the clevises that hold the Tuner Shaft to the mounting plate.One tight spot per revolution.And each individual tuner has the exact same problem.

If it was just one Tuner paddle that had a tight spot I would figure it was just that tuner. Since each tuner shaft has the same problem it seems that is is a design problem.

Has anyone figured out a way to free up thet tight spot?

2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I've got a very bizzare 1960's semihollow that had a similar problem. Several of the tuners would tighten up part way through the turn. They were the kind that had a cover on the back, so I opened them up to find that someone had pumped a load of grease into them to try to solve the problem. The issue turned out to be with the worm gear its self. It was very slightly off center, so as it turned it would rub on the tuner cover. I added a paper gasket between the tuner and the cover (made from heavyweight resume paper, I believe) and cut it down on the outside so you couldn't see it. It seemed to add the necessary space to let the worm gear turn and free up the movement of the tuner.

Of course, I have no idea if this will apply to Mustang tuners, but it worked for me in this particular instance.

-Nate

3. RATZAX

RATZAX

Oct 23, 2002
    Gales Creek,Or
    Hi Nate- there are many different Tuner problems thatcan occur.Thanks for the reply.However my tuner problem involves the Paddle shafts rubbing on the clevis's.
    Thanks
    Bernie

4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Anyone know where I can get p style knobs that'll fit my 2012 mij mustsng? It's got the mini jazz knobs but I'd prefer knurled chrome like on a pbass.