Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender mustang bass neck replacement?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndnsnbrn, Apr 28, 2004.

1. ndnsnbrn

ndnsnbrn

Apr 28, 2004
    Hello I am new on the board and I was wondering if any one knows whether or not it is possible to replace a fender mustang bass neck with another fender bass neck that is full scale? The mustang bass is a 1977 and has a short scale neck. Thanks! :)

2. I'm not so sure you can. It may be to wide. My musicmaster neck is a little narrower than my p-bass's neck.
    Good Luck
    cb

3. ndnsnbrn

ndnsnbrn

Apr 28, 2004
    I've looked at a few bass necks on ebay and I think your right. Most of them are just a little bigger than the pocket on the mustang. How hard would it be to shave a neck down to fit. I'm no luthier but do you think it could be done?

4. There are other factors to consider besides whether the neck will fit into the neck pocket. For instance, you have to be sure that the scale length is correct (i.e. long scale=34") and also consider whether the pick up will be correctly positioned since the location of the harmonics will have changed. What you are looking at doing is more complicated than it might seem at first glance.

5. ndnsnbrn

ndnsnbrn

Apr 28, 2004
    Thanks for the advise! I just like to play em' don't know to much about how its put together. ;)

6. byrdsfan

byrdsfan

Feb 9, 2004
    L.I.
    It was good enough for Bill Wyman!