Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang Bass Neck

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dyereek, Sep 8, 2005.

1. dyereek

dyereek

Sep 8, 2005
    Can you please help me with my problem about my Fender Mustang bass neck. Its about the tension in the neck. I brought my bass to a technician and had it tuned up but there was a problem on the neck, the truss rod was at its peak, I mean its done, cant be adjusted anymore but the neck was still bending thus making the action higher, I already adjusted the bridge, making it lower but the the action is still higher. Can you please help me with this problem? How can I fix the neck? Is there a way fixing it and making the neck straight again? NOTE: the truss rod can was fully adjusted but the neck was still bending when strings are in place. What should I do? It will really help if you say something that you know about this problem. Thanks.

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    As suggested by Dan Erlewine, you can sometimes give a fully tightened truss rod new life by placing a washer between the wood and the nut. Ask your repair shop.

3. dyereek

dyereek

Sep 8, 2005
    Can I just ask, how is that? Just curious. :)

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Depending on the construction of the truss rod assembly what is happening based on your description is that either the threaded part of the rod has bottomed out in the adjusting nut or the threads have run out and the nut can't be tightened down any more.

If a washer (perhaps two or three if it doesn't make the adjustment nut extend out beyond the finished end of the neck) were set in between the adjustment nut and the set plate that it pulls against it will give you that much more pulling distance.

Be certain that the nut IS NOT PROUD of the surface of the neck or it won't go back in the pocket properly.

That's what I would do if it were my project...

5. dyereek

dyereek

Sep 8, 2005
    what is a set plate? And what do you mean by "the nut is not proud"? thanks.

6. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The truss rod proper is a T-ended machine screw for all practical purposes. There are three slots cut into the neck - First is for the length of the rod, second is for the 'head' of the rod that is commonly at the headstock end on Fenders, the third is for a plate with a hole in it that the rod is slipped through (unless the slot is over-sized at the heel so that the adjustment nut presses against maple).

The adjustment nut (slotted likely, perhaps an allen head) presses against the plate or ledge of maple at the heel. The tension on the rod pulls the headstock backward to compensate for string tension.

Normal truss rod assembly

If too many washers are placed between the plate or ledge and the adjustment nut the end of the nut will protrude beyond the hole it is supposed to live within. If it "stands proud" of that hole it will hit the body of the bass and not reseat in the neck pocket.

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Use lighter gauge strings.

I used Fender (7150 I think) 40-90 gauge set on my Mustang and come to think of it, the nut is backed way off just so the tension will pull the neck up, making it playable.

8. dyereek

dyereek

Sep 8, 2005
    thanks a lot, Ill do it. Ill put on gauge size(40-90). If there is still something you want to suggest or say something on what I should suppose to do with the neck of my mustang bass, I will appreciate it and it will still help me a lot. thanks.