Fender Mustang Bass PJ or Sire U5 Short Scale

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick Harris, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Nick Harris

Nick Harris

Sep 8, 2020
    Hello , has anyone played both of the above and which one is best for emulating P Bass ? What one would you choose ?

greenscharlie likes this.
  2. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    Interesting question. I have both.
    The U5 is just better.
    The stock P pickups on the Mustang might be more like my Fender Player Precision but I'd still get the U5 and add a DiMarzio P if you want to change anything 8 days a week.
    I'd add that I also have a Squier PJ with DiMarzio's and the P on there is the most Jamersonish P of all my basses.
    Will be selling off gear soon and the Mustang is first to go.

greenscharlie likes this.
  3. greenscharlie

greenscharlie

Jan 2, 2021
    my mustang arrived today and will be leaving tomorrow, its rubbish.
    Had to turn my amp up x4 compared to the G and L. Weak distortion. Even MicroBass did that better.
    Small body that slides away, neckdive. When slapping, your pink allways hits the toggle switch.
    Ok, the neck plays great.
    Seems to me that moving the saddles for intonation is no sinecure, no routing grooves.
    Tuners : 1:20 GL tuners 1:22 (or smth like that)
    Cheap plastic pickguard.
    Fretsprout

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  4. Bassiclees

Bassiclees Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2020
    @greenscharlie sounds like you got a mega-dud. I don't get my MustangPJ but it doesn't have any of the issues you mention. Where'd you order yours from? Most good places have solid return policies.

5. greenscharlie

greenscharlie

Jan 2, 2021
    i think, except for the fretsprout, all off them have those same issues : toggle switch placement, small body, neckheavy, not much output, no saddle routes bridge (didnt try it so maybe no prob), tuners. Im comparing with Gl fallout, which is too heavy and has a wide neck, but killer pickup.
    Waiting for the U5 to arrive.