Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Warwick player, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Couple of question I would much like answered but I am too scared to ask! :ninja:

First off the Mustang bass I take it was discontinued a while back, I am interested in not only playing one but actually finding a shop in the UK that'll sell them! So any UK T'bers that know a music shop that sell 'em, I would appreciate some addresses!!! ;)

Secondly, do the re-issue models have the groovy racing paint job? Seen a couple of the 1960's-70's models with what look like a racing stripe going at an angle across the body. :D

Lastly, heard that the pickups weren't the best in the world? I don't know whether this is true of the re-issues, but if anyone out there has a Mustang I would sure like to know!

Any advice or input is greatful!

2. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I have one. They are great short scale basses. I have seen some reissue competition Mustangs come out of Fender Japan.

As for the pickups, they are not as thick sounding as a good P bass pickup. Kind of a P bass light, IMO

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I'm pretty sure they're still around. Fender's site still shows them and Ishibashi Music still have them (the current ones come from Fender Japan). They don't have racing stripes though.

4. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The pickups to avoid are the musicmaster/bronco bass single coil shortscale pups.... way, way too thin. Purely my opinion - ymmv

The split humbucker is unique, but not a P pup. I rather like the sound they have.

5. DubDubs

DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yea they still make the mustang bass but it doesn't have the racing stripe you're talking about though.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had a 60s Mustang bass - one of the worst basses I ever owned - as you say, thin, lacking bass, but also indistinct - only good thing about it was the re-sale value, when I traded it in for a decent bass!! ;)

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I bought a Mustang bass for my son. I wanted a short scale for his 10 year old hands. It does have a P Bass sound so not my favourite thing since I like the tonal variety of a J. It is a fun bass to play though. I could have got something cheaper but I wanted a quality instrument, relative to what's out there in short scale basses. He likes it and I like it as well.

8. gamera

gamera

Sep 20, 2004
    Gloucester, MA
    I really liked the pickups in the old ones. They did a competition models a couple of years ago, but that might have just been guitars.

9. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Thanks for the replys guys, I heard something about the pickups being weak and lacking bassbut was never sure whether it was true! The only way to find out is try one really! :bassist: