Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by dyereek, Oct 13, 2005.

1. dyereek

dyereek

Sep 8, 2005
    Does a vintage Fender Mustang have a slight hump and a raised tongue? I tried adjusting the truss rod and the bridge but it just seems that the slight hump never goes away. Is this normal? The action aint that high(just right for my preference, but not to low). Is this just normal and right for my 'stang?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    It may just be me, but I have no idea what you're talking about. Can you explain what you are describing?

3. dyereek

dyereek

Sep 8, 2005
    hhhmmm, what I meant by a slight hump is a bow like shaped neck caused by the tension. The tongue is the head of a bass.

4. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    there should be a tiny amount of bend in the neck to keep the strings from buzzing.

I'll have to let someone else field the second part of your question about the "tongue". I thought I knew all the parts on a bass. I live and learn.

---------
    Dyereek, I just went to your profile and checked a few of your previous posts. You apparently are still having an ongoing problem.

Before you will be able to understand any suggestion that we make, you'll have to learn a little more about your bass. There are a number of stickies (permanent messages) at the top of the forum. There is a world of info in these stickies. You will find a link for the fender set-up site there. It's pretty easy to understand and a little time spent there will be worth its weight in gold to you.

Concerning your problem: There is really nothing at all that you can personally do at this point in time concerning the truss rod. That calls for a good deal of experience.

Your tech has got you on the right track, it sounds like, so I suggest taking the bass back to him and ask him what he would charge you to repair the problem. At that point you can ask him to go into detail about the repair/problem.

Good luck.