Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sippy, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Okay guys, I LOVE The look of the Fender Mustang. I didn't want to pay the huge price for a vintage one but I found a place called http://www.guitarjapan.com/ they have them.. in sunburst (my favorite) and it's only $560!!! Now that's their deal? Is the mustang still available in Japan and just not in the states? Or whats going on with them? Also is $560 a decent deal for them? I know shipping from Japan will kick my ass though. And how do you feel about the mustang bass? I've heard it once and thought it sounded nice, but that was just one time. I'm going purely on looks and the fact that I love Fenders. BTW Merry Christmas to you all :)

2. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    There's one in the states for around the same price as the Japanese one. And you're lookin at about 120 bucks for shipping from guitarjapan.com

3. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    They Sell mustangs in the states???? where?? I haven't seen them anyway! and my local GC can't order it (big shock eh? ;) )

4. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
  5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    wow!!!! I kinda had my heart set on sunburst though!! Thanks for the link bro!

6. Pennydreadful

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, I wish it came in more than just white and red (that terrible fiesta red, too...blegh...), but if you go with that you can save a bundle on shipping and have what I would assume is pretty much the same bass as the Japanese one.

Anyway, good luck with your Mustang hunt. :)

7. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    The Mustang Bass available in the US is made by Fender Japan I believe. I live in Japan and recently bought a vintage white one. To my ears, it sounds kinda like a Precision Bass, and at the risk of embarrasing myself, here's a soundclip:

mustang bass clip

I originally made the recording to see how the Alembic preamp I picked up sounded - I'm pretty sure it's the Mustang into an EH Black Finger compressor and then the Alembic F2-B. One of them might be direct without the Alembic - the thinner sounding one. Yeah, I think that's what I was doing was comparing the two sounds. Hey, it was a while ago...

Oh, and I should say that in my experience Fender Japan stuff is awesome!

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

Wow that's a mustang? (It says Jaguar bass clip) It sounds a lot like a P-bass + Jazz bass... kinda mixed together I like the sound a lot. Nice groove too ;)

9. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Oops! Yeah, it's a Mustang - I don't know why I wrote Jaguar!

I think that the pickups have some of the bite of a P-bass. I'm not sure what contributes to any Jazz-bass-ness of the sound.

Oh, and I was going to say, you do realize that they're short-scale - i.e., 30" right?

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Yea I know it's a short scale.. i'm 5'6" and my fingers look like toes LOL it's amazing I can play the basses I have!