Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fender Mustang Bass?!?!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lobster_boy, Dec 12, 2001.

1. I was at my local, very crappy, music store today and I saw what seemed to be a very narrow 70's jazz bass and I tried it out and it was awsome and I also discovered it was the bass version of the Mustang guitar. Its used and is $350. I'm wondering if it is actually worth that but it sounded pretty nice for my poor standards. It had good high-mids which I like for punk. Do ya think a 70's Mustang bass is worth $350?? Have any other info about it?

2. I like `em!

Back a while ago,I had the hots for the Mustang and Musicmaster(?) basses.Everyone I talked to though said they leave something to be desired in the sound/tone dept.(muddy).If you like how it sounds go for it!They are neat looking little axes.:)

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    $350 is a good price.

They are now "vintage" and "collectible" but I don't think much of them as playing instruments.

They are sort of a cost and size reduced P-bass. I'd rather have a P.

4. chickeNeck

chickeNeck

Dec 6, 2001
    Does it have a P style "split" p/u or a single bar? If it's got a P style p/u, it's a Mustang. $350 is about right.

I'm a huge supporter of the Musicmaster bass, but if it is one, $350 may be steep unless it is in pristine condition. I've found them locally for $250, and paid $200 for my 75 Mm.

Regardless, if you're into funk/boogaloo music from the 60s/70s and are looking for that sound, you can get it with either one of those guys.

Let me know if it's a Musicmaster, and I can fill you in on some cool hot rod modifications to get that bass to sound like the funk forefathers.

Peace.

P.S. Brian is right, it won't be a P bass substitute, unless you don't have triple that to spend on one of the production year.

5. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Decent price if it's in good condition. Real nice ones go for about $500. Remember they are short scale basses.
    Doc

6. ...with a percussive, thuddy tone...more so than a P, muddy like some say. Damn fun to play being a shortie!
    And the competition-painted ones look pretty kewl on stage.