Fender Mustang Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Usul, Apr 19, 2001.

1. I have been seeing a few of these online of late and am just wondering how they sound,feel,play is all.Kinda kewl looking...like a stubby jazz bass.What years were they made and where?

2. cole

Sep 14, 2000
    they were made circa 1966 to circa 1979.

as it's a short-scale (30.75" or thereabouts), it probably plays really quickly.

dunno about the sound, but there aren't that many famous Mustang players, if that tells you anything. (Colin Moulding of XTC and Tina Weymouth of Talking Heads are the only ones I can think of, and that's in each player's respective early days)
  3. davelowell

Jan 18, 2001
    stl, mo
    i have a '75 and it's fun to play. sounds more like a little p-bass if you ask me.

i got it so i could teach my little girls and wife how to play because of the short scale, but every now and then i take it for a spin.

4. I have the musicmaster, and absolutely hate it, weak tone, bad parts. But I have heard some nice things about the mustangs though
  5. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Hey TallGuy...

I'd be more than happy to take that MusicMaster off you hands. In the 'First Bass' thread, I tell about my Kawai, but my second was a MusicMaster... I'm looking to recapture some of my youth!!!