1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Just to be clear, @Bobhmcs, I didn't order the Hip Shots because of tuner tightness. I ordered them hoping to reduce neck dive. They are on back order so I don't expect them for a couple of weeks.

If you have trouble turning the tuners, you may want to try loosening the Philips screws on the back of the tuners or lubricating them...just a thought ;).

Edit: Not the mounting screws, the one for the shaft.

2. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I was just about to ask if there might be an adjustment possible. Thanks for your anticipation. I am assuming that all 4 screws need to be loosened equally? Correct?

3. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    I am referring to the one screw on each tuner shaft, not the ones (four) that mount each tuner to the head stock.

4. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you for explaining that. My confusion. You saved an old man some major agitation. Thank you again.

5. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    From one old man to another, you a very welcome...who needs any more agitation at our age ;):thumbsup::thumbsup:.

I'm not saying it's going to work, but it's worth a try...

6. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I will updat everyone on the results. Thanx to all. Now it is time for a nap. ; [)

SoulReflection likes this.
  7. Modder

Modder

Jan 2, 2017
    Suffolk, UK
    Ha, I was advised the HB10s are the ones! I have fitted HB10s, there was a minor issue in that the bushings seem a smidge loose, which I fixed by wrapping a double layer strip of cooking foil round them, they now seem fine. They locate exactly into the existing screw holes. Will be interesting to hear how the HH6s go, they may not need the extra fitting on the bushings!

SoulReflection likes this.
  8. Downsman

Downsman

Jan 30, 2016
    The HB6s are the ultralites so not technically drop in replacements as the screw holes won't match, leaving the old screw holes exposed. Some people are bothered by that. Others aren't. If neck dive isn't an issue, though, then the HB10s will match the originals better. I went with those as the previous owner of my PJ replaced the tuners with black hardware which I didn't like, and no longer had the originals.

Modder and SoulReflection like this.
  9. basadam

basadam

Nov 29, 2005
    Here are the pics of Gotoh GB-350 set I installed on my PJ:

Attached Files:

10. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Thanks to you and @Modder for pointing this out. I was too wrapped up with neck dive hate and the fact that I was advised to get the 1/2" shafts, which I did, only to find out they should be 3/8". Of course, the 3/8" ones are on back order...:poop::rollno:.

11. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    I would like to thank one and all for the input, advice, and suggestions you have so kindly provided. Especially to SoulReflection for his patience with a newbie. It has not fallen on deaf ears. In fact loosening the ONE screw on the machine heads has solved the tightness issue for now. At least my fingers don't cramp and go stiff and my arm doesn't go numb when tunining (which is why I no longer have my '72 Precision). For that I will be eternally grateful. As for neck dive as I only play sitting it doesn't apear to be an issue. If it does I shall come a calling. I am very happy with this area and don't plan on leaving soon. In closing thank you again.
    Bob

Modder, Duder, Florinda4 and 2 others like this.
  12. SoulReflection

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    You are very welcome, Bob. I am happy that your tuner issue is fixed...nothing like a free fix ;).

Modder likes this.
  13. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    My white Mustang has been on the block. This mess needed tidied up!

o7MiNbu.

I shielded it with copper tape:

K9z1y16.

I then shielded the J pickup cavity and soldered some joins together in the tape, as well as trimming the edge further around the P pickup route.

I then installed some Dimarzio Model P and Model J pickups:

wPqWV90.

At this stage I've started to sort and tidy the pickup wires. The green wires run to the eyelet Fender screw into the control cavity floor. I tidied this up further, with heatshrink tubing to keep everything in check. The black and white wires for each pickup (the series link between both coils) were soldered together and heatshrink'd off. These were then pinned to the bottom of the cavity by soldering an insulated jumper wire over the top of them. This is the short black wire you can just about see at the bottom of the wire channel at the top right hand corner of the P pickup:

52Sv7Wf.

I also wired up a new harness with 500k CTS split-shaft pots, recycled Fender wires where possible, an Orange Drop 2.2 nF capacitor (0.02 uF) and black Strat knobs:

7bn0m3V.

The bass will get a black pickguard, but for just now it has the factory 'guard fitted. I might add the thumb rest in the '70s position when the black 'guard appears:

bVfK9Vp.

I'm going for a face-punching '70s vibe with this bass, hence the Dimarzios, Badass II-style bridge, black pickup and Strat-style knobs.

dmt, Bobhmcs, Modder and 6 others like this.
  14. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    First off I would like say to Axstar that looks like alot of work. But fun as well. I have noticed throughout TB that the Mustangs appear to be modified often. With that observation made I do have a upgrade question. Does anyone know if the Seymour SJB-1B pickup is a drop in or only the STK-J1B in Mustang PJ. My 2017 MIM pickups do not quite have the punch I was led to believe by the sales rep. It could very well be just old ears. Thanks for any help provided.

Axstar likes this.
  15. Downsman

Downsman

Jan 30, 2016
    I have the SJB-3 bridge pickup in my PJ (paired with the SPB-3) if that's any help? It was a mod that was already made when I got it, so don't know how it compares to the stock pickup, but sounds pretty good to me. I can hear a real difference compared to my Jaguar Short Scale pickups and my band mates have commented on how defined the sound is.

Bobhmcs likes this.
  16. image.
    I think this may well be the club for me? I had the chance to buy a sixties Mustang from the same guy who sold me the ocean turquoise MIJ a few years ago. Kicking myself now that I didn't.
    Could I have a number please?

17. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Yes that does help quite a bit. Thank you. The cost difference, depending on which vendor you are looking at can be quite substantial with the SPB1 & STK kits or separately. I will look into that. At first I thought it was my Rumble 40 and being a newbie. But then I had the opportunity to play through a Marshall half stack and just didn't seem to be there..My Hofner and Gretsch pound through that thing turned up to 2. But the PJ I have to go to almost 6 to get the same effect. OK now I ramble. Thank you again for your help and input Downsman.
    Bob

18. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    Why not just turn up to 6 then?

I mean, I do know what you’re talking about (probably), as my MIJ Mustang (not a PJ) has noticeably less output than my other basses (P, J, SG), but, well, I just use a higher setting on the amp when playing the Mustang (the amp has more than enough power for my needs). It does require an adjustment when switching basses that can be disconcerting if I forget, but it’s usually not a big deal for me (sometimes though, when switching to another bass from the Mustang I can kind of blow my ears out a bit, especially if standing right in the line of fire!).

A punchier pickup does drive a preamp (or a pedal) a bit differently (usually better, but, conversely, a lower output pickup can be sweeter...)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  19. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol
    What, no Pawnshop or Mikey Way? :D

Awesome little collection you got there :bassist:

Shortstuff likes this.
  20. Lol, thanks :)
    I was never sure about how humbuckers would sound in a bass (never tried one) but love the looks of the pawn shop and the Mikey Way, sparkle does it for me very time!