1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWLANG, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Bobhmcs

Bobhmcs Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Let me begin by saying that the physical playability of this little bass is phenomenal for someone like me. You see I have severe Rheumatoid Arthritis, Parkinsons and other physical issues that limit what I can play. I call my PJ "little" because when I put the bass down, I was playing a '72 Precision. I am 6' 2" and weigh 225lbs (for you in the UK that's 16 stone), and that P-bass made me look like Tal Wilkenfeld. Again I ramble and I apologize. When I discovered that the re-issue of the Mustang would be a PJ my expectations went through the roof. Here I would get what I was used to hearing, my fingers could turn the machine heads, and my left arm would not go numb and then asleep just prior to playing or practicing. It lived up to every one but what I was used to hearing and feeling. I agree with you whole heartedly that I should just turn it up to 6 and Then Play On, and count my lucky stars that a company had the foresight to produce this "little" wonder. But I feel I shouldn't have to compromise with a 500 watt head and a 4X12 speaker box if I can have something done to get back my small days of thunder.
    This is by way of explanation not excuses.
    It is what it is. So when I came across people modifying these I thought, instead of paying Fender three grand for a custom instrument why not look into a $200 upgrade and keep the physical playability.
    Please understand that this long disertation is in NO way personal and your point is very valid and we'll taken. It has not fallen on deaf ears.
    There are, nevermind that, I am sure you and everyone else is done with this book.
    I hope I have explained a little of my reasoning and desire.
    Thank you for your thoughts and input DMT, much appreciated.
    By the way. May I have a number please?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    dmt likes this.
  2. Florinda4

Florinda4 Supporting Member

Hiya Bob... we're in the same boat... my Mustang PJ took some mods to get it right (Fender Mustang Club), but it's been worth it. Done by a guy who makes beautiful custom basses, my Mustang now sounds as great as one of his (for a lot les$) with the new pickups and electronics, and is the key to my being able to continue playing in my inevitable decrepitude. I'm 68 - and have battled debilitating tendinitis in both hands into remission. Slowly getting better, but it takes a whole notepad of techniques for me to manage it.

For the moment I am the number-keeper for the Mustang club. I can't seem to find a picture of your Mustang, though I hunted back through the thread - post a pic and I'll kick out a number. ;)

Flo

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  3. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you Flo. Here it is. In all it's stock glory. But not for long. ; [) 20180612_103436.

jbassbob and Florinda4 like this.
  4. Florinda4

Nice! Welcome to the club!

Excellent place to keep your GAS tank filled and motivate exorbitant expenditures of time &/or $$ making it feel and sound exactly right for you.

@Bobhmcs = #42

5. Bobhmcs

Sep 20, 2017
    Reno Nv
    Thank you so much for the welcome and the humor. Have a great day to all!

6. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    Picked this 2006 CIJ Fiesta Red Mustang up a couple of weeks ago! My first Mustang and i’m loving it so far!
    Instantly fitted some La Bella 760 Mustang Flats strings, and it’s an awesome little sister to my ‘71 Precision with La Bella 760FL:

E8F86B83-936A-4C8E-958B-09008F73B761.

Greetings from the UK :)
    Si

pomegranesis, Duder, Bobhmcs and 4 others like this.
  7. Florinda4

Relying on humor to allay side effects of my shortscale GAS attack... gotta laugh, however weakly,
    Nice! Mine also gets along nice with its '73 PBass brother, though I may be sensing a whiff of jealousy from the P lately as I've been practicing mostly on the flashier newcomer.

@Si-bob, Y'all want a #? Not everyone is a joiner, so I wouldn't presume to issue without the request.

Flo

8. cattrax

cattrax

Oct 17, 2010
    SW Florida
    I love the blue Squier with the maple neck! Was that a custom paint job?

9. Florinda4

Sorry @Shortstuff , missed the request! @Shortstuff = #43

Your request was actually before @Bobhmcs , so out of order but hey - it's a volunteer gig fer cryin' out loud... :rollno:

Duder likes this.
  10. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Oh yes! Several hours of work for each bass.

My white Mustang is done:

l5y30fW.

The black pickguard and thumb rest definitely finish off the '77 look. I looked at photos of real 1977 Mustang basses to work out where to locate the thumb rest. In the end I draw a couple of lines intersecting a pickguard screw and the screws of the thumb rest, and work from here, by working out which fret they intersect on the neck:

RGjTRCk.

It is crude, but it works! Incidentally those real 1977 Mustang basses look a little odd. I guess the body templates were pretty worn out by 1977, as the upper horn is shorter and the contours are all quite severe?

DSC043052.

...all of this staring at sunburst Mustangs reminded me of Jim Rodford (RIP's) much modified Mustang. He must be the progenitor of the PJ Mustang.

[​IMG]

pomegranesis, mjmeche, Duder and 3 others like this.
  11. Si-bob

Si-bob

Jun 30, 2001
    Hemel Hempstead, UK
    Focusrite / Novation
    Yeah go for it :)
    Cheers

Si

12. SoulReflection

SoulReflection Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2017
    NorCal
    Great post! Thanks for the info. As you could probably tell by my avatar, I was inspired by burst as well.

Now, I'm going to see if I can find anything more about Jim Rodford.

Axstar likes this.
  13. Florinda4

@Si-bob = #44

Welcome!

Si-bob likes this.
  14. No, while the Squiers were only available in sunburst or black Japan as per usual had more colours choices.
    So in a reckless moment I ordered this lake placid blue one. Cost me a fair bit in shipping and import tax! Fortunately it's a great bass. Got flatwounds on this one.

15. Axstar

Axstar SUSPENDED

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I see my picture of Jim failed to pull through. Here he is with his PJ Mustang:

the-kinks-bassist-jim-rodford-76-overlijdt-val-van-trap.

16. cattrax

cattrax

Oct 17, 2010
    SW Florida
    Sometimes reckless moments pay off! It's absolutely gorgeous!

Axstar and Shortstuff like this.
  17. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    GRRRRRR... I finally found an orange PJ to buy, so I ended up returning the JMJ a couple days after buying the PJ (don't need 2 and I like the orange better than the blue, and I'm fine with the sonic differences) - THEN yesterday I get a message from the store that says oops they don't actually have the orange one that they had listed on reverb. Boooo. It has given me new determination in dealing with the weight of my P, though, at least for the time being.

Axstar likes this.
  18. dmt

dmt

Apr 19, 2003
    Orbiting Sol

Ouch. That sucks...

I’m in kinda the opposite situation — I have 2 basses I’ve mentally moved on from (one, absolutely completely) but haven’t gotten around to selling yet. Just don’t have the energy to deal with selling. Meanwhile, a Mustang PJ just popped up used that I’ve been waiting for and...can’t do it. For one, gear funds are lowish and it just wouldn’t be prudent, and for two, I already have basses I barely play, plus there’s the two basses to move on that I still haven’t gotten around to moving and...the timing’s just wrong. If I had sold at least one of those two basses though, I would be in position to snatch up this Mustang. Oh well, I already have 2 #1s (an MIJ Mustang and an MIM P), plus two alternatives, so it’s hardly like I "need" another bass.

Well, at least you still got the P. There sure are worse thing’s in life than that!

The happy medium would seem to be somewhere inbetween our two situations: keep the old bass until you get the new bass in your hands, and then maybe even for a limited tryout period thereafter. Once the tryout period is over, then SELL that one you don’t need any more.

19. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh absolutely! I would have still had a little time on the return window for the JMJ, too, since it was a GC purchase, but no I just slotted "go to GC to return this bass" into my schedule when it was conveeeeenient instead... Derp.

20. OllyW

OllyW

Oct 10, 2017
    Stourbridge, UK
    If you are handing out numbers I’ll take one for my PJ please.

71B6F78A-E312-41A9-B717-A4380FDA0DEB.