1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fender Mustang D String Buzz?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheIndieKid, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Hello everyone,

I had my Fender FSR Mustang bass replaced today after I discovered the "new" one I bought was damaged. I've took it home and noticed that the saddles were a bit oddly setup for the radius of the neck. The D string saddle was flat, but the A saddle was at a 30 degree angle. After straightening the A saddle to match the D saddle, I started to play and noticed the D string was buzzing. Not even when fretted-buzzing when open. I'm possibly going to take it back for setup tomorrow but is there a fix maybe I can do at home? It is the only string to buzz. Any tips welcome. Many thanks :)

2. Rupert Ansell

Rupert Ansell

Feb 23, 2017
    This is interesting. I purchased a brand new 2016 MIJ Fender Mustang Bass online in January 2017 and when I plugged it in I was surprised to find a severe buzz on the open D-string and a slight buzz on the open G-string as well. I immediately contacted the seller who had 2 other identical basses in store and when they checked them, they exhibited the same fault. The bass is currently with Fender UK for repair. I'll be interested to hear the cause of the problem as it is clearly not a one off.

3. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    If one string is buzzing when played open, it's too low. Could be the nut slot, but not likely, since most basses come out with nut slots not deep enough. I'd say it's just too low at the bridge for your playing style. Turn each bridge screw 1/4 turn and try it. If still buzzing, go up another 1/4 turn each screw. Re-tune each adjustment so string tension is correct.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  4. Rupert Ansell

Rupert Ansell

Feb 23, 2017
    The string height appears even on all four strings and the action is not low. The buzzing is not coming from the nut it's coming from the bridge end but even after the seller's guitar tech looked at it he couldn't find the source, hence the return to Fender. I'll post an update when the cause is revealed

5. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    All bets are off. If it's not fret buzz, it could be about anything. If a guitar tech couldn't find the buzz, it will likely be something totally strange like the ground wire under the bridge oscillating at 73.4 Hz (not suggesting that's what it is, that's just the strangest thing I could think up). Good luck

6. Rupert Ansell

Rupert Ansell

Feb 23, 2017
    What's really weird is that the seller had 3 of them in stock and they all exhibited the same fault. Suggests the build or the set up is off, which you would hope should be detected before leaving the factory!

7. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    There's not a whole lot of things a buzz at the bridge could be. The CIJ Mustangs use an M4 X 0.50 bridge saddle screw which uses a small diameter spring. Maybe they assembled a bunch of bridges with the wrong springs and they oscillate at 73.4 Hz (D)....

8. Rupert Ansell

Rupert Ansell

Feb 23, 2017
    I actually tried putting my finger on all the springs on the bridge to see if I could dampen the buzz, but it made no difference. It's a mystery. Still waiting for feedback from Fender via the seller

9. I keep on thinking that the nut slot in D string are too low, and probably it will have some frets uneven.

10. Rupert Ansell

Rupert Ansell

Feb 23, 2017
    The buzz is definitely not coming from the nut. Even when you play harmonics it buzzes at the bridge, so it's not uneven frets either.

11. Rupert Ansell

Rupert Ansell

Feb 23, 2017
    Open D-string buzz issue resolved! It was nothing complicated, Fender found that the strings were defective. I've replaced the standard Fender strings with Dunlop's and no buzz! Must've been a bad batch of strings at the factory

12. Sorry for the late reply, guys. Been busy as heck. I had the exact same problem. Replaced mine with some Labella Mustang Flats and it sounds great now though :)

13. Rupert Ansell

Rupert Ansell

Feb 23, 2017
    I've put roundwounds on mine and like you, very happy with the tone. Only minor complaint is that the pots are a bit scratchy. Did you have to adjust the truss rod with the flat wounds?

14. It's a great tone. Very ballsy when played with a pick, especially the leather Timber Tones pick I have. My control pots aren't scratchy, but I'm not sure if the shielding in the bass is a bit lacking. Shouldn't be for a FSR bass though. The store guitar tech said he had to raise the action, as I'd had super low action with super light gauge rounds before, but I don't know about the truss rod. Normally a full set up takes a few days for him, but he put the strings on and raised the actin in about an hour and a half, so who knows ;) one thing I'll mention is that it's my first pricey bass (I know...£500 is tuppence for a bass), so I've tried keeping it in tip top condition, but couldn't evade some nicks, bumps and chunks taken off it. Was very sad :bawl: One thing I'll say is that it's very hard finding dedicated flatwounds for a 30" string through. Only Labella does them as far as I know, and there's only one stockist here in the U.K. ):

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017