1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang / Ibanez Mikro case ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unclekebm, Jul 19, 2012.

1. hello TB'rs...

Question:
    Does anyone have experience in knowing if a Mustang will fit in an Ibanez Mikro bass case? - thanks

2. It will not fit in the Ibanez Mikro gig bag. Never seen a Mikro case.

3. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    A Mikro is 28.5" scale and also has a shorter headstock than a 30" scale Mustang = big difference in length (I have both).

4. I have both also;)

5. MakoMan

MakoMan

Oct 17, 2011
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wish it did, but the fact of the matter is, it's not even close. The Mikro will fit in a standard 39" interior electric guitar case... the Mustang, MusicMaster, or SS Jag basses will not. I've never tried a Mikro case on a Mustang, but if it were long enough I would be stunned.
    A Gretsch Jr. Jet will also fit into a 39" guitar case. It's a tight fit, but it DOES fit. But for a Mustang, MusicMaster or Squier SS Jag, you will need a case of minimum 43" to clear the longer headstock and large tuning keys.
    There are only two cases I know of which definitely fit the Mustang, MusicMaster and Squier SS Jag... the one Fender sells for the ridiculous price of $149.99 (it's a crappy Chinese case truly worth about 60 bucks), and the Douglas Short Scale bass case sold by Rondo Music for $49.99 (and worth every penny). While a cheap Chinese case, the Rondo is every bit as good as the Fender for 1/3 the price and will fit any Fender short scale.
    I was able to find a Gator bass case which fits the Squier SS Jag well, but the longer horn on the Mustang and MusicMaster basses do not work in the same case. Visiting pawn shops through trial and error you might be able to find something that fits, but the Rondo and stock Fender Mustang cases are the only ones that I know of which will fit Mustang and MusicMaster basses for sure.