1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang limited color 399 Adorama

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by fcappi, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Mine too.

FlabbyDaddy likes this.
  2. FlabbyDaddy

FlabbyDaddy

Dec 20, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Thanks for the heads up on this deal. I received mine today and was impressed with how well it plays. I would also say the pictures don't do this bass justice, the color scheme looks amazing in person.

Adorama was very speedy getting the bass to me. I placed my order Monday and it was at my door in Ohio Wednesday evening.
    I did run into a snag. there are 2 finish cracks in the neck pocket. The box was petty banged up, not sure if this caused them or if it was the cold temperature. Should I request another or is this common for a bolt on neck?
    IMG_0548.JPG IMG_0552.JPG IMG_0553.JPG

3. If it’s a good player I wouldn’t stress because if you get one without that it wouldn’t be surprising to see them appear in A few years

FlabbyDaddy and EpicSoundtracks like this.
  4. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    My Mustang had a small finish crack like that on one side of the neck pocket. It didn't have any other major issues though so I decided to keep it. I don't think every bolt-on gets cracks but a few of my older ones do have them. Its up to you to decide if you want to exchange it for a new one though. Are there any other issues with the bass? A lot of us had a problem with the 3-way switch cutting out, though mine has been working fine.

FlabbyDaddy likes this.
  5. EpicSoundtracks

EpicSoundtracks Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    Lollar Pickups, Dunlop Strings
    yep, agree with @A-Step-Towards. a new bass shouldn’t have those finish cracks, but the hassle of sending it back wouldn’t be worth it to me. and it’s nearly inevitable that they’ll happen over time anyway.

FlabbyDaddy likes this.
  6. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i'd contact adorama about that. a new bass shouldn't have those problems, and the folks at adorama are usually good to deal with.

FlabbyDaddy likes this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I’m afraid to look at my Mustang . Silly me doesn’t check for these things. I gotta admit it would bug me. I’d send it back.

Also, didn’t someone else in this thread get one that looked like that - maybe even WAS that same bass? Or was that @dxb ?

FlabbyDaddy likes this.
  8. fcappi

fcappi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Mchenry, il 60050
    If it bothers you enough get it replaced.
    Must have been made on a Friday or a Monday.
    Still at 399....

FlabbyDaddy likes this.
  9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    But it's so little...
    How did you adjust to 4" less scale?
    Dose it go low with the shorter scale?
    Looks great

10. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    I’ll bite.

I’m not adjusting well. It’s a beautiful bass, sounds great, and well made. I’ve had no switch trouble. But I’m SO much more comfortable on a 34” bass that I find myself ignoring this little gem.

Maybe it’ll grow on me, but it hasn’t yet. For the price, I’m fine just hanging onto it for awhile.

11. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I play guitar and bass so getting used to the 30-inch scale was no problem. Size-wise the Mustang bass feels about like a guitar though the neck is a few inches longer (it doesn't quite fit into a guitar gig bag). I don't know what you mean by going low, the low notes sound fine but I haven't tried drop tuning it.

12. fcappi

fcappi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Mchenry, il 60050
    No issues for me either i can actually play more proficiently.

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Does the bass have strong low end response since the string are shorter?
    Does it sound as big?

14. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    It sounds bigger than my P.

My band plays tuned down a half step. I've had to readjust my playing, but I've always played to hard anyhow and this is forcing me to let up a little. I just realized that THAT might actually have a lot to do with why I'm loving the tone of it so much. Hmm...

fcappi likes this.
  15. fcappi

fcappi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Mchenry, il 60050
    Yep for sure! Thicker and faster than my Jazz and I actually didn't play my Jazz anymore so I got rid of it and kept the mustang and got a Lakland 30" hallow-body and have not looked back. I also have a breedlove 32" scale ABG but that's another story. String tension is an issue if you tune down so like Joe said you have to improve technique and play lighter. That was me too for years always thrashed hard on the bass and its good that I needed to learn to let up a bit.

16. fcappi

fcappi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Mchenry, il 60050
  17. fcappi

fcappi Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2006
    Mchenry, il 60050
    Anyone replace the factory pickups? The bridge is weak so I was thinking EMG's, Dimarzios or even fender custom shop but the EMG's and Dimarzios would sound good enough to save the $$$ I was thinking Bill Lawrence but everytime I get those the plastic covers are too big!

Iofflight likes this.
  18. sporad

sporad Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2009
    NYC
    I put the Dimarzio Model PJ set in mine and love it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    fcappi likes this.
  19. zackthompson

zackthompson Endorsing Artist: MJC Ironworks Strings Supporting Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    I put emg pjx’s in mine. Had to route out a little bit of wood along the path where the wire from the switch goes in order to fit the battery. Very minimal work. The space was already there for it. Just needs to be deepened to fit a battery. Killer tone though.

20. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    I have purchased a Dimarzio ultra jazz and a Will power Billy Sheehan P pickup, but have yet to install them. I do not care for the pickup switch so I have been kicking around wiring ideas. I will probably end up with 2 volumes and replacing the switch with a short shaft version, using that as a 3 position tone control.

Idk, but I am looking forward to the mod. The bass doesn't need it (well, the switch sucks) but I think it deserves it.

fcappi likes this.