1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang limited color 399 Adorama

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by fcappi, Nov 24, 2017.

1. NoElephant

NoElephant

Dec 14, 2016
    Me too! I'm just glad they only put one color up at this price so I'm not tempted to buy a second one. Surf pearl is pretty though, it looks much nicer in person than on the website.

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I have a fight with myself every time this thread resurfaces.

I LOVE this bass. Its become my #1, and it's tough not buying another.

I want them to discount a different color already!

Iofflight likes this.
  3. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    I like mine, but I'm not in love with it just yet. The bottom cutaway is a bit shallow which makes it difficult for my fat hands to get to the upper frets, the fretboard could use a little more rounding on the edge because it is sharp, and the J pickup does leave a lot to be desired.

Plus, the first one sent to me was completely damaged. Thankfully the second one wasn't and it's in brand-new condition.

HOWEVER...the color, overall appearance, ease of playing, and overall value make it a good deal.

4. Still $399? Bargain. I sold my used red one locally for $400.

5. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I’ve been looking for a bass that fits what i need since im in a new band, and I finally realized I can’t do better than this. Ordered just now.

Does anyone have any opinions on whether bill lawrence p45s would be a worthwhile upgrade? I already have a set.

6. sporad

sporad

Dec 13, 2009
    NYC
    Congrats! I think those pickups would be a worthy upgrade. I put a Dimarzio Model PJ set in mine and love it.

J.D. Detroit and KJMO like this.
  7. Bbrddck

Bbrddck

Mar 2, 2017
    Pennsylvania
    Every time these go on sale, I can’t afford them. By the time I can afford them, they’re not on sale anymore. :facepalm:

8. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Were you able to get that sorted out with Adorama?

EDIT - I was typing as you were just posting about your replacement.

9. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    Gotcha. But yes, I did get a replacement.

In fact, this weekend I took her up on stage for a show. I got a lot of compliments and everything went over really well. I still have a few reservations about it, but I really do like this bass. It's so much fun playing a short scale.

J.D. Detroit likes this.
  10. KJMO

KJMO

Feb 6, 2015
    I got mine, and I'll be darned if it doesn't sound pretty good with the stock pickups. The pickup heights were very weird, but I recorded it and it sounded good. I adjusted the heights to less weird, and with both pickups on, it doesn't sound as much like a jazz. Odd.

I think the only changes I'll make is try some other strings when these lose their zing. Love the short scale, love the feel. Very nice bass!

JOE! What model hipshot d-tuner did you put on yours? I need one, but the tuners look slightly different than the standard MIM ones.

11. bogwart

bogwart

Apr 9, 2014
    I played mine up on stage 2 weeks ago. While I'm not in love just yet, I am really liking it so far. Screenshot_20180507-222742_Chrome.

fcappi likes this.
  12. Its back to 574 :(

13. jbassbob

jbassbob Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    Love, Love, Love mine. I'm down to two basses, my first and my last :)

mustang_EB3.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  14. Where did you get that picguard?

15. jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
  16. Thanks!

17. jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    You're welcome, I had good luck with them but I've heard that you might be better off going to Pickguardian. It seems one member had a situation where WD wouldn't correct an order where the pickguard was really poorly cut..

18. Yeah over 70+ for a pickguard is crazy

19. jbassbob

Mar 21, 2005
    Boise ID
    I paid less than $40 and it was a stock item. I don't see them on the site anymore.