1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fender Mustang limited color 399 Adorama

Discussion in 'Hot Deals' started by fcappi, Nov 24, 2017.

1. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    This looks like the post about the switch....

"The switch has a plastic shaft in the center. When you operate it, it opens and closes metal flaps/plates on either side that the wires are attached to. This makes/breaks contact with the pickups.
    The switch sits in a somewhat narrow slot. It looks like if it's not lined up straight with the slot it can prevent the metal from pushing open. And if the round nut loosens up, it's possible that the switch could turn when you work it.
    The switch needs to be lined up with the slot and then the round nut tightened.

Anyways, I made sure no wires were touching, gave it a shot of contact cleaner, and so far - so good. It hasn't cut out, lost volume, or given me any other problems, and I've worked it quite a bit. Hope it stays that way.
    Hard to describe. I hope that made sense. I'm attaching some pictures that may help.
    The solder work was better than I was expecting, but there was a lot of rough wood in the routed areas, and some loose wood chips on the bottom that I vacuumed out.
    Edit - maybe there was a small piece of wood or sawdust in the switch - IDK.
    So I guess he's saying that it could be the switch came loose and rotated a bit which caused the mechanism to rub against the side of some slot it sits in, is that right?"

...I haven't had time to play mine today but I'll report back if my switch is acting weird again.

fcappi likes this.
  2. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    All right. I guess I’ll just suck it up. It’s showing as rescheduled for COB tomorrow, so we’ll see.

I can’t complain, obviously; four days is fine. I just wish they hadn’t gotten my hopes up.

3. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    My UPS guy said his volume had more than doubled since thanksgiving My USPS guy gave me an eye roll and head shake.So I guess things are busy all over.My stang is sched. for tomm delivery........maybe

4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    The box arrived a few mins. ago

Attached Files:

fcappi likes this.
  5. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Looks good no visible issues

Attached Files:

Sub-hoo-fer and Picton like this.
  6. yeah mine was perfect!

pudge likes this.
  7. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Got it.

We’ll give it a whirl later this evening; got no time now. But it looks great; I bought it for the color, which is phenomenal.

pudge and fcappi like this.
  8. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    I played it again today and didn't have any problems with the 3-way switch. Maybe it just had some dust in it. I did notice the intonation was pretty bad though so I spent some time adjusting the saddles. Now its close, but I might still shave the nut down a bit to get it spot-on since I think that's throwing it off a little.

Oh, and I just noticed the dot markers are mint green like the pick guard. I'd assumed they were white until I took a closer look. Pretty cool that they thought of doing that.

9. Sid the Kid

Sid the Kid Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Illinois
    Mine came in perfect shape too. Adorama is 2 for 2 at sending me fantastic examples of MIM Fenders. This one came with a bonus of a flamed maple neck with a reddish orange Pau Ferro board with a beauty of a grain pattern, no aidio or switch issues.

Terrific little bass!

Sub-hoo-fer, pudge and fcappi like this.
  10. Intonation is an isue with a 30" scale, its a get it as close as possible. Put a kickass bridge on my first mustang and had to shorten the saddle screws to get the saddles to move far enough back for proper intonation/

dxb likes this.
  11. Picton

Picton

Aug 16, 2017
    Reading, MA
    Mine's good. It's a keeper. Thing plays like a guitar; it's taking my fingers some time to get used to how easily I can reach where I need to. I think I prefer a long-scale overall, but this thing definitely has its place. And it looks fantastic.

I, too, got decent figuring on my fretboard. I've always like pau ferro.

12. Photoman1969

Photoman1969

Jun 15, 2009
    Texas
    Well boo hoo. Mine arrived but the tail end strap stud is bashed in, loose and the paint is munged up. Adorama is being really slow about a return but I suppose they are crazy busy right now...

pudge likes this.
  13. Sub-hoo-fer

Sub-hoo-fer

Nov 27, 2015
    Virginia
    That stinks.

pudge likes this.
  14. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    Sorry to hear that. I've received damaged instruments before and it sucks. Unfortunately these basses ship in pretty small boxes so there's not much protection.

15. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Shipping ot receiving things this time of year is a real crapshhot.You know things are rush,rush.Boxes flying everywhere and things getting jammed in to fit one extra box in.Most likely a 360 lb. former college lineman applying force to make things "fit" before shipping

16. Did the box look like it was dropped on that end? These are minimally packed with just cardboard :( sorry to hear that but at least you can decide if its a replacement or refund)

17. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    After hearing about that damage I took a look inside the box.It came "packed" with the bass slipped in a full length light foam condom and a carboard sleeve around the bridge end of the body and a headstock in a protective "box".Looks like the strap button dug in the cardboard pretty good but no damage ....luckily.

Attached Files:

18. Yeah they really need a couple inches of foam on each end for two story drops!

19. Photoman1969

Photoman1969

Jun 15, 2009
    Texas

The box looked in good condition. I guess that cardboard insert in the bottom of the box is not up to speed or the damage was done at the factory and QC didn't catch it. Sent Adorama some pics but haven't heard back yet. Will have to get a refund on this one as I picked up a different bass local to replace it.

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Mine is on it's way out the door with me for a 3 set bar gig. Not bringing a backup so I'm forced to get used to using a shortscale :). Gotta be honest... I'm a tad NERVEous, but more excited. I play hard live, and I have a feeling I'm going to have to consciously lay back a lot. Oh yeah, we down-tune a half step, so I've got some real floppiness going on :). Especially on the drop D tunes. Will let yas know how it goes....

fcappi, pudge, Fred312b and 2 others like this.